New in print
- NEWLY PUBLISHED (Book Review). // People Management;5/3/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 9, p56
Reviews two books. `20 Ways to Manage Better,' by Andrew Leigh; `Powerful Presentations,' by Jons Ehrenborg and John Mattock.
- INSTITUTE NEWS. // People Management;5/17/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 10, p63
Presents updates on the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) as of May 17, 2001. Details on the Law on Tour series of workshops across Great Britain; Name change of Solicitors' Personnel Managers' CIPD Forum into HR in Law; Publication of a new edition of Andrew Leigh's `20...
- From the IPD. // People Management;06/29/95, Vol. 1 Issue 13, p43
Presents various books about employee management. `Managing People in Professional Practices,' by Anne Radford; `20 Ways to Manage Better,' by Andrew Leigh; `Asking Questions'; `Listening Skills.'
- Will and a way. Fisher Jr, James R. // Executive Excellence;Jul97, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p12
Focuses on ways to employ the natural resilience of workers aside from outsourcing, downsizing and cost-cutting measures. Development of a true partnership between managers and workers; Selection of team leaders in agreement between management and the union; Complementary practices that ensure...
- Successful organizations. Pfeffer, Jeffrey // Executive Excellence;Mar1998, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p11
Describes the seven practices of profitable business enterprises. Employment security; Selective hiring; Implementation of self-managed teams and decentralized decision making; Offering of high compensation and contingent on performance.
- Technology misapplied. Oncken, William // Executive Excellence;Sep98, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p14
Discusses how technology can be used in industrial and personnel management. Illustration on how to solve problems within an organization; Illustration on how technology can be misapplied.
- Art of recognition. Anderson, Mac // Executive Excellence;Sep98, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p20
Suggests how managers can motivate employees to give their best service for the company. Correlation between satisfied employees and quality service delivery to customers; Discussion on how managers can help recognize employees for their quality service.
- The new workforce is for HR today. Halcrow, Allan // Workforce (10928332);Sep98, Vol. 77 Issue 9, p8
Deals with the impact of human resources (HR) on jobs. Factors that shaped HR; Impact of HR on businesses.
- `Problem children'-how do you deal with them? Thatcher, Mike // People Management;05/04/95, Vol. 1 Issue 9, p17
Discusses personnel professionals' debates on how to get rid of troublemakers before embarking on large change company programs. Difficulty of sacking troublemakers; Constructive ways on how a company may achieve change.