Ageism hits one-third of workers
- Advancing the Sociology of Ageism. // Social Forces;Sep2007, Vol. 86 Issue 1, p257
The article discusses various reports addressing age discrimination published within the issue including one by Gee, Pavalko and Long dealing with perceived discrimination in the workplace and another by Yuan on ageism and mental health.
- BLAIR SHOULD THINK OF HIS CONTEMPORARIES. Roberts, Yvonne // Community Care;5/1/2003, Issue 1470, p19
Discusses the unemployment problem of British citizens over 50 years old. Number of over 50s who are jobless; Impact on their immediate quality of life; Statistics on applicants who experienced ageism when applying for jobs.
- Who bears brunt of ageism? Maeglin, Kathy // Indianapolis Business Journal;9/9/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 26, p27
Discusses whether or not ageism would be worse for female workers than for male workers in the U.S. Number of age discrimination charges filed by men and women with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission; Reason why there are more male workers who are filing age discrimination...
- Combating Workplace Ageism. Reio Jr., Thomas G.; Sanders-Reio, Joanne // Adult Learning;Fall99, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p10
Focuses on the problem of ageism in the workplace in the United States and how adult educators may begin to confront the problem. Practices that are discriminatory to older workers; Age-related stereotypes in the workplace; Communication and collaboration of scholarly researchers and adult...
- New code aims to tackle ageism in the workplace. Whitehead, Mark // People Management;9/3/1998, Vol. 4 Issue 17, p16
Provides information on age discrimination in the workplace in Great Britain. Findings of the government's report `Action on Age'; Comment from Lucy Anderson, equity officer at the Trades Union Congress; Calls for legislation; Comments from Employment minister Andrew Smith; Information on the...
- AGEISM FACES RETIREMENT. Kenny, Gail // Travel Trade Gazette UK & Ireland;9/15/2003, Issue 2581, p16
Focuses on the issue of ageism on the travel industry in Great Britain. Benefits of age diversity in the workplace; Challenge brought by age discrimination in employment law; Advantage of the experience, accumulated knowledge and stability possessed by the older generation.
- Age legislation arrives. // Accountancy;Oct2006, Vol. 138 Issue 1358, p10
This article discusses Great Britain's Age Discrimination Act. The Age Discrimination Act forbids employers from practicing unjust direct and indirect age discrimination against their employees of any age. The article examines the Act's impact on the accountancy field, as firms are no longer...
- Beware youngsters' ageism claims. Huber, Nick // Computer Weekly;10/26/2004, p46
The article presents a discussion on a law banning workplace age discrimination that is due to come into force in 2006 in Great Britain. Legal action from employees claiming age discrimination is likely to come from younger than older employees, managers have been warned. The law banning...
- Ageism May Lead to Systemic Change. // Diversity Factor;WInter2005, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p37
Reports on the implementation of the European Union Employment Directive, which bans any discrimination based on age in vocational training and employment in Great Britain. Coverage of the Employment Directive; Views of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development on age restrictions;...