Disabled employees faced with the sack
- DLEG Grant Goes To Disability Advocates. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;12/31/2007, Vol. 25 Issue 54, p12
The article discusses the grant in state and federal grant money awarded to Disability Advocates of Kent County in December 2007 by the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth (DLEG). Disability Advocates has 20 staff members, 65% of which are people with disabilities. It is stated that...
- State to hire 'navigators' for disabled job seekers. Soule, Alexander // Fairfield County Business Journal;5/14/2007, Vol. 46 Issue 20, p7
The article reports on the assistance given by the Department of Labor to Connecticut by granting $1.2 million to help people with disabilities find jobs. This is part of $14 million nationwide expansion of the Disability Program Navigators in the U.S. The program provides staff and support at...
- People With Disabilities Not Well Served by Federal Unemployment Programs. Pavlou, Stephanie Z. // O&P Business News;11/1/2010, Vol. 19 Issue 13, p42
The article reports on a study conducted by researchers at the Center for Research on Learning, Division of Adult Studies at the University of Kansas which examines the federal services offered to people with disabilities in the U.S. Findings reveal that disabled individuals were not served well...
- LET DISABLED PEOPLE HAVE JOBS AND BENEFITS. Mason, Micheline // Community Care;2/2/2006, Issue 1608, p20
The article reflects on the aim of the British government to coerce people off incapacity benefit and into work. The author cites the process of qualifying for the incapacity benefit. People with disabilities find conventional employment difficult to manage. There is a need to let disabled...
- (DISABILITIES) CMS Funds Employment Program with $750K. // Community Health Funding Week;5/28/2010, p5
The article reports on the funding program "Medicaid Infrastructure Grant To Support the Competitive Employment of People with Disabilities," launched by the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to support the employment of people with disabilities by facilitating improvements to the...
- Federal agencies. // Exceptional Parent;Jan1993, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p40
Presents a list of government agencies which offer parents and professionals information on services and regulations. The Federal Information Center (FIC); Americans with Disabilities Act; Disability; Education; General information; Health; Hotlines; Mental health.
- Budget juggernaut hits blindness programs. Marshall, S. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Sep/Oct95 Part 2 of 2, Vol. 89 Issue 5, p21
Focuses on the effects of the federal budget cuts on blindness programs in the United States. Elimination of the funding for personnel preparation under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA); Stabilization of the Medicare Trust Fund; Consequence of a loss of savings resulting...
- LIFE OF NO LEISUREâ€¦. // Community Care;8/10/2006, Issue 1635, p7
The article presents a photograph showing Vivien Cantrell, one of the disabled people affected by the decision of the Wiltshire Council in England to stop funding direct payments for leisure services.
- Federal Assistive Technology Legislation 1988-PRESENT. Noble, Laura // Exceptional Parent;Jun2002, Vol. 32 Issue 6, p50
Reprints the article 'Federal Assistive Technology Legislation 1988-Present,' which appeared in the September 2001 issue of 'People with Disabilities Magazine.'