EU moves to extend works council reach
- Agency Directive will put a stop to temp-to perm route. Willmott, Ben // Personnel Today;9/3/2002, p4
Discusses issues concerning the Agency Workers Directive of the European Commission in European Union countries. Rights given to temporary workers to equal pay and conditions as permanent staff; Percentage of agency staff accepted an offer of permanent employment; Pay lip service offered by the...
- The European Company: employee participation. Dishington, Jo // Accountancy;Aug1991, Vol. 108 Issue 1176, p48
Reports on amendments to the European Commission's proposed Regulation for a European Company Statute for employee involvement in the European Company. Description of three models of employee participation; Guarantee of the minimum rights of employees; Election procedure for employee...
- Agency directive - is it a permanent end to temps? Calvert, Glenn; Willmott, Ben // Personnel Today;12/3/2002, p14
Reports on the debate regarding European Commission's proposed directive on working conditions for temporary agency workers. Employment conditions included in the directive; Support of British government towards the directive; Negotiations regarding equal treatment of agency workers on pay...
- SNUBBING SMOKERS AT WORK. Iverson, Jeffrey // Time International (South Pacific Edition);8/21/2006, Issue 33, p11
This article reports on a regulation made by the European Commission, stating that employers refusing to hire smokers do not breach European anti-discrimination laws. According to the Commission's spokesperson Katharina von Schnurbein, the Commission can legislate on age, disability, sexual...
- Tax equality--EC initiative. Greene, Chris; Maddalena, Christina // Accountancy;Feb1994, Vol. 113 Issue 1206, p109
This article reports on the call of the European Commission for member states to harmonize their tax legislation by 1995. The recommendation from the European Commission is aimed at ending tax discrimination against the community's 300,000 cross-border workers. The European Commission says that...
- Battle of the Belgians. Lievens, Eddy; Goyvaerts, Jurgen // Lawyer;2/20/2006, Vol. 20 Issue 7, p33
The article reports on the refusal of the Belgian government to implement the framework established by the European Commission regarding the European Directive on Information and Consultation of Employees. The government argued that it has already implemented laws related to the directive....
- Your questions answered. // Design Engineering;Jun99, p12
Focuses on the European Commission laws that protect employees from the accessibility of danger zones. Restriction on the size of openings permitted for restrictive fencing within a manufacturing plant; EN292 covering machine and equipment safety.
- EC should recruit more accountants. // Public Finance;03/29/96, p7
States that the European Commission's tradition of recruiting mainly lawyers and economist as officials affects financial management expertise. Decrease in the employment of accountants in Brussels; Need for more financial managers at the commission.
- Around the World: SPAIN. // Pakistan Textile Journal;Mar2014, Vol. 63 Issue 3, p19
The article reports on the proposal by the European Commission (EC) to provide Spain with Euro 840,000 from the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund (EGF) to help 300 workers made redundant in the textile sector in Comunidad Valenciana (Spain) to find new jobs.