Texas Comptroller Counting on 'Bootstrap' Mentality
- Newly Wed Texas Comptroller Predicts Higher Shortfall. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/9/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31549, p4
Focuses on the shortfall in revenues for the state predicted by the Texas comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn. State revenues accounted for in a budget; Other states with budget deficits; Other problems faced by the state.
- Lawmakers in Charge. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;7/15/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31677, p33
Discusses the views of Carol Keeton Strayhorn, State Comptroller of Texas about the expenditure of a $700 million funds. Composition of the funds; Power given to officials of the state regarding the usage of the money.
- Comptroller: Texas Short $9.9 Billion. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/14/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31552, p1
Reports that Texas faces a $9.9 billion revenue shortfall according to an announcement made by the state's Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn on January 13, 2003. Impact of the shortfall on the state's budget; Concern of the comptroller regarding the state's economy.
- Strayhorn: Fee Hikes, Taxes Will Burden Texans. // Bond Buyer;8/28/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31708, p4
Focuses on the increase in fees and taxes by the legislature in Texas to balance the state budget. Overview of the opinion of Carole Keeton Strayhorn, Comptroller of Texas on the issue; Assessment of the increased tax burden on business community and public school employees.
- Texas Comptroller Makes History, Rejects Budget Proposal. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;6/20/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31661, p4
Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn on June 19, 2003 refused to certify a $117.4 billion budget proposal for the 2004-2005 biennium, telling lawmakers to fix a $185.9 million gap between revenues and expenditures by the end of the current fiscal year on August 31, 2003. This is the first...
- The Lone Comptroller. Gurwitt, Rob // Governing;Oct2003, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p68
Features Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn. Career background; Information on her campaign slogan; Criticism on her policy and decisions.
- Texas Comptroller Places Fiscal Onus on Legislature. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;5/20/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31639, p36
Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn reiterated her belief that legislators should utilize more than 4 billion dollar in savings and additional cash sources she has suggested to help the state cover a predicted 9.9 billion dollar revenue shortfall for 2004. Under Texas law, Strayhorn must...
- Texas Governor Sees Budget Deadline Where Comptroller Sees a 'Myth'. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;6/18/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31659, p32
Texas governor Rick Perry said on June 16, 2003 that the 118 billion dollar two-year budget bill approved in the month by lawmakers will expire if he does not receive a certified copy of the budget from comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn by June 22, 2003. Perry's announcement comes soon after a...
- A Woman of Independent Means. Goodin, Emily // National Journal;1/7/2006, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p63
The article reports that Texas state comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn has backed out of the Republican primary in order to challenge Republican Governor Rick Perry as an independent in the gubernatorial race. Strayhorn declared as an independent on the last day to file for the Republican or...