Cost of Tax-Exempt Bonds Estimated at $33 Billion
- Fitch Looks at Muni Bond-Backed CDOs. // Asset Securitization Report;5/27/2002, Vol. 2 Issue 21, p10
Focuses on the structure for passing through tax-exempt income from single or multiple municipal bonds. Mitigation of interest rate exposure; Development of CDO-like structure for municipal bonds; Comparison between tender option bonds and municipal bonds.
- More woes for municipals. // ABA Banking Journal;Oct81, Vol. 73 Issue 10, p230
Reports the problems on the market for tax-free municipal bonds in the U.S. Increase in the net borrowing by the government; Feature of the All-Savers Certificate on tax-exemption; Transition of the investor funds into municipal bonds.
- MARKET STATISTICS. // Bond Buyer;10/10/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31240, p36
Presents several charts depicting market statistics of municipal bonds in the United States as of October 2001. Market indicators of bonds; Short-term tax-exempt yields; Prices of US securities; Merril Lynch Corporate bond indexes; Municipal market data general obligation yields.
- Tax Exemption Repeal Could Kill 892,000 Jobs. DEPAUL, JENNIFER // Bond Buyer;6/25/2013, Vol. 384 Issue 33934, p1
The article focuses on the report titled "U.S. Metro Economies: Job Impact of Proposals to Limit the Municipal Bond Market" issued by the U.S. Conference of Mayors that shows the revision of the tax exemption for municipal bonds would have affected 892,000 jobs and eliminated the labor income.
- Study: Restricting tax-exempt financing would hurt economy. // AHA News;10/25/2013, Vol. 49 Issue 21, p6
The article discusses the results of a study by the U.S. National Association of Health and Educational Facilities Finance Authorities (NAHEF-FA), which found that controlling tax exemption on municipal bonds can negatively affect the economy due to additional interest to be paid by organizations.
- Curbing, Not Ending, Tax-Exempts More Likely, BDA Says. Temple-West, Patrick // Bond Buyer;4/26/2011, Vol. 376 Issue 33506, p4
The article cites a report from the Bond Dealers of America (BDA) warning that calls for the elimination of tax-exempt interest would seriously disrupt the municipal bond market in the U.S.
- Finding Safety in Tax-Exempt Bonds: Even in hard times munis make sense. Dunnan, Nancy // ABA Journal;Jan1992, Vol. 78 Issue 1, p69
Focuses on the investment advantages provided by municipal tax-exempt bonds in the United States. Tax exemption law covering municipal bonds; Ways of attaining the safety factor in buying municipal bonds; Steps in buying municipal bonds.
- St. Paul shifts gears: Plans taxable bonds for hockey arena. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;03/16/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30351, p1
Reports that Saint Paul, Minnesota may have to forgo a tax exemption on bonds for a hockey arena. Lease signed with the Minnesota Wild; Alleged violation of guidelines for an exemption from federal income taxes; Penalty faced by the city when it moves to convert its notes to long-term debt.
- Bipartisan House backers introduce Gorton's plan to protect muni debt. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;02/12/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30578, p5
Provides an overview on legislation introduced by members of the United States House that would protect the tax-exempt status of municipal utilities' bonds when the electricity market turns competitive. Representatives J.D. Hayworth and Robert Matsui's introduction of the Bond Fairness and...