Spying the future
- If Bush--or Clinton--were really like Truman. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Nov1992, Vol. 48 Issue 9, p4
Presents a quote by President Harry Truman: `The CIA was a mistake. If I had known what it would become, I would have never created it.'
- Curiouser and curiouser. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Nov/Dec1994, Vol. 50 Issue 6, p7
Comments on the practice of the Central Intelligence Agency of withholding information even when required by law.
- What to do about the CIA. Pipes, Richard // Commentary;Mar1995, Vol. 99 Issue 3, p36
Discusses recommendations which seek to address the Central Intelligence Agency's (CIA) fundamental problems. Background on the foundation of CIA; Assessment of CIA's performance; Intelligence failure and faulty assessment; Mirror-imaging approach; Political interference; Instances of...
- US intelligence failure shows need for reform. Goodman, Melvin A. // Christian Science Monitor;5/18/98, Vol. 90 Issue 120, p11
Contends that the failure of the United States Central Intelligence Agency to provide advance notice of the testing of several nuclear weapons in India in May of 1998 is symptomatic of three major deficiencies which the agency is facing. How politicization has affected the CIA; Increasing...
- Fifty years--too many?--for the CIA. Schorr, Daniel // Christian Science Monitor;8/15/97, Vol. 89 Issue 183, p19
Opinion. Discusses the problems that the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) is facing in 1997, its fiftieth year of existence. Several failures that the CIA has been involved in; Its attempt to mount a coup from northern Iraq to overthrow Saddam Hussein; Outlook for the CIA.
- Letters. Baker, W. // Foreign Policy;Fall88, Issue 72, p247
Letter to the editor from William Baker, Director of Public Affairs, Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), regarding statements made about the CIA in the article `Assessing Soviet Strategic Defense' by Stephen Daggett and Robert English. Response byDoggett and English.
- Shaking up the CIA. Ott, Marvin // Foreign Policy;Winter93/94, Issue 93, p132
Examines concerns over the performance and integrity of the Directorate of Intelligence, the analytic arm of the Central Intelligence Agency. A highly capable, deeply flawed instrument of policy support; Director James Woolsey; Why the intelligence cognoscenti in the press and the congressional...
- Cracks in the CIA-cocaine story. Elvin, John // Insight on the News;06/09/97, Vol. 13 Issue 21, p34
Scrutinizes the San Jose Mercury News article `Dark Alliance' linking the US Central Intelligence Agency to drug smuggling. Omission of crucial information in the story; Admission that the story is open to misinterpretations.
- CIA director calls for probe into agency's alleged drug activities. // Jet;10/14/96, Vol. 90 Issue 22, p38
Relates that the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) director has announced that there will be an independent investigation into allegations of CIA involvement in cocaine trafficking in Afro-American communities; The statement issued by CIA Director John M. Deutch to the Congressional Black...