Birth-Order Research and Adler's Theory: A Critical Review
- A Practical and Effective Research Measure of Birth Order. Jordan, Eleanor W.; Whiteside, Mary M.; Manaster, Guy J. // Individual Psychology: The Journal of Adlerian Theory, Research ;Sep82, Vol. 38 Issue 3, p253
Focuses on the conclusion of a research study that psychological importance of birth order to the development of the individual is not captured in the knowledge of the ordinal position alone. Relationship between birth order and other characteristics; Observation on family interactions; Aspects...
- The New Science of SIBLINGS. Kluger, Jeffrey; Carsen, Jessica; Cole, Wendy; Steptoe, Sonja // Time;7/10/2006, Vol. 168 Issue 2, p46
This article focuses on a wealth of new studies into sibling dynamics from which research scientists are gaining insights into how personality develops. Sibling research, which has been previously limited to discussions of birth order, offers information about how siblings steer away or toward...
- Subjective Happiness of Lebanese College Youth in Lebanon: Factorial Structure and Invariance of the Arabic Subjective Happiness Scale. Moghnie, Lamia; Kazarian, Shahe // Social Indicators Research;Nov2012, Vol. 109 Issue 2, p203
The present study evaluated the subjective happiness of Lebanese college youth using a multi-item rather than a single-item subjective happiness measure. An Arabic translation of the Subjective Happiness Scale (SHS) was administered to 273 Lebanese college youth from state- and private-run...
- Methods of Ranking Birth Order: The Neglected Issue in Birth Order Research. Mills, Kyla J.; Mooney, Gillian A. // Journal of Individual Psychology;Winter2014, Vol. 69 Issue 4, p357
Four different methods for ranking birth order have emerged in birth order research: the Adlerian, dichotomous, serial, and continuous methods of ranking. The authors explore the strengths and limitations of these methods. The purpose of this article is to compare the four competing methods of...
- Doctor, lawyer...or Indian chief? The effects of birth order. Moore, Kris K.; Cox, Joe A. // Baylor Business Review;Winter1990, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p18
Examines how birth order influences major decisions and behaviors of an individual. Educational level; Personality traits; Choice of mate; Employment traits; Career choices.
- The relationship of psychological birth order to career interests. White, JoAnna; Campbell, Linda // Individual Psychology: The Journal of Adlerian Theory, Research ;Mar97, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p89
Studies the relationship of psychological birth order to career interests. Reference to Alfred Adler's (1956) theory; Number of participants in the study; Methodology used in the study; What the study revealed.
- Birth-order blues. Parks, Paula Lynn // Essence (Essence);Nov95, Vol. 26 Issue 7, p136
Focuses on how birth order affects children. Only children as little adults; Appreciation of order by eldest children; Youngest child as manipulative; Advice for parents.
- DO PSYCHOLOGICAL BIRTH ORDERS PREDICT INDIVIDUALS' STRESS COPING STRATEGIES? Kalkan, Melek; Ko�, Hatice Epli // Turkish Psychological Counseling & Guidance Journal;2008, Vol. 3 Issue 30, p57
The article examines the study which assesses how far coping styles with stress is affected by psychological birth order. The study also attempts to determine the significance of psychological birth order in predicting coping styles with stress. To test, 436 university students comprising 208...
- A Influï¿½ncia do Gï¿½nero e Ordem de Nascimento sobre as Prï¿½ticas Educativas Parentais. Sampaio, Izabela Tissot Antunes; Vieira, Mauro Lu�s // Psicologia: Reflexï¿½o e Critica;2010, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p198
This study aimed at assessing gender and birth order influence on parenting and perceived parental favoritism from the children perspective. The participants were 322 adolescents aged between 13 and 17 years old. Two instruments were used to collect data - Parenting Styles Inventory and a...