The Flaglers today
- `The Newport of the south.' Weisenberg, Leonard // Cobblestone;Nov95, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p33
Focuses on the contributions of millionaire Henry Flagler and other investors in the development of Saint Augustine, Florida. Flagler's background; His arrival at Saint Augustine; His life in there; George W. Maynard; His contributions to Saint Augustine.
- Flagler's folly. Fox, Barry // New Scientist;7/2/94, Vol. 143 Issue 1932, p42
Focuses on tycoon Henry Flagler's railway line in Florida that links New York state to Cuba. Difficulty of construction; Vulnerability to hurricanes; Impact on Florida's pineapple business.
- Season's end. // American Heritage;Apr93, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p120
Focuses on the lifespan of the Ormond Hotel, from it's opening in 1888 to its removal in 1993. Work done by the indefatigable Florida hotel builder Henry Flagler; Accomodations; Great draw of automobile racing on Ormond Beach; Why the hotel began to lose patronage; Final days as a vast, echoing...
- TASTE OF HISTORY. // Jacksonville Magazine;May2013, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p100
The article offers information on the Dinner with the Three Mrs. Flaglers dining experience hosted by the Casa Monica Hotel owned by tycoon Henry Flagler in Saint Augustine, Florida every second Thursday of the month in 2013.
- Following a Train to Sea. // American Heritage;
Describes the railroad route that once stretched from Miami to Key West and its builder Henry Morrison Flagler. Rescue of veterans in the face of the hurricane that destroyed the railroad on September 2, 1935; Vaca Key; Bahia Honda. INSET: To plan a trip..
- Dream awhile at Whitehall. Griffith-Roberts, Carolanne // Southern Living;Mar94, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p36
Features the Whitehall, railroad magnate Henry Flagler's house in Palm Beach, Florida. Wedding present for Flagler's third wife; Number of rooms; Design; Flagler's role in the development of Florida.
- HENRY M. FLAGLER: INVENTOR OF MODERN FLORIDA. Gordon, John Steele // Veranda;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 19 Issue 6, p144
The article presents information on Morrison Flagler, a business man, from Florida. Flagler was born at the very dawn of the industrial era and helped to shape that age, first as a creator of Standard Oil and then as the builder of the Florida East Coast Railway, which brought modern Florida...
- THE MADNESS THAT SWEPT MIAMI. Stewart, Doug // Smithsonian;Jan2001, Vol. 31 Issue 10, p58
Focuses on the transformation of South Florida from a sleepy backwater into an international destination. Discovery of buried treasure in 1925; Development of Henry Flagler's railroad and a succession of luxury hotels; Advertisements and other lures to get people to Florida.
- Laura Woodward: Florida's Most Important Nineteenth-Century Woman Artist. Pollack, Deborah C. // Antiques & Art Around Florida;Winter/Spring2010, Vol. 44, p7
A biography of Laura Woodward, a nineteenth-century woman artist, is presented. She was born in 1834 in New York, became a Hudson River and White Mountain schools professional artist-member, and painted nature and wilderness of the Northeast as well as St. Augustine, Florida where she spent the...