Group identities and the construction of the 1943 rescue of the Danish Jews
- Behind the black/Jewish split. // Commentary;Jan1986, Vol. 81 Issue 1, p23
Relations between American blacks and Jews have become strained in recent years. The two groups find themselves at loggerheads over issues each perceives at vital. Efforts to repair the damage have been mostly in vain. Some of the problems between the groups go back many decades, but it is a...
- Sandinista anti-semitism. // Commentary;Sep86, Vol. 82 Issue 3, p25
The Nicaraguan Sandinista Front has been conducting a campaign of harassment and intimidation aimed at Nicaraguan Jews causing them to flee. The story of the persecution and flight of the Jews and how it became enmeshed in a great deal of confusion and controversy.
- Modern ideologies and the Jews. // Commentary;Mar1987, Vol. 83 Issue 3, p41
By contrast to the history of Christianity, Jewish history is set apart, and a definitive work placing the Jews within the context of the history of our time, the 19th and 20th centuries, does not exist. But without references to the Jews one cannot account for modern science and philosophy or...
- American Jews and Israel. Abel, L.; Alexander, E. // Commentary;Feb1988, Vol. 85 Issue 2, p21
As Israel approaches its fortieth birthday, never has criticism of the state by American Jews been so open, so widespread and so bitter. Forty-nine American Jewish intellectuals reflect on changes in their own attitudes toward Israel in recent years. Israel's fulfillment of American Jews'...
- Liberalism & American Jews. Kristol, I. // Commentary;Oct88, Vol. 86 Issue 4, p19
Opinion. Comments on the historical and religious sources of political liberalism among American Jews, telling how some of the illusions of liberalism are falling away. Prophets and rabbis; Orthodox Judaism.
- American Jews: Diehard conservatives. Himmelfarb, M. // Commentary;Apr89, Vol. 87 Issue 4, p44
Gives results of a political survey among American Jews. Opinions on Jesse Jackson; Presidential vote; Ideology.
- Our road to Zion! A memoir. Vital, D. // Commentary;May89, Vol. 87 Issue 5, p49
A writer reflects on his Russian Jewish family and tells why they left London for Palestine. Zionism; Revisionist party.
- The story of the American Jews. // Cobblestone;Nov91, Vol. 12 Issue 11, p4
Looks at the role Jews have played in world history and the hostilities often directed against them. First attempts to enter America in 1654; Brief early history; Subjects of bigotry; Immigration of Jews to America; Contributions of American Jews. INSET: Untitled (Isaac Bashevis Singer)..
- German Jews: Making a place in America. Miller, B.M. // Cobblestone;Nov91, Vol. 12 Issue 11, p13
Discusses the role German Jews played in mid-19th century America. Immigration from Germany; Social network including B'nai B'rith; Calls for religious reforms among German Jews; Role in Civil War; German-Jewish American businessmen. INSET: An enterprising immigrant, by B.M..
- A Home at Last. Clemens, Mark // Cobblestone;Oct2007, Vol. 28 Issue 7, p22
The article provides information on the establishment of the first Jewish community in New Amsterdam, the capital of 17th century New Netherland.