- Clearing the Way. Randazzo, Mike // All Hands;Sep99, Issue 989, p20
Discusses how the United States Navy has done more to advance mine warfare technology. Evolution of mine warfare; What created a huge stockpile of low-technology sea mines; Danger posed by unsophisticated sea mines.
- Navy buys ladar-based mine detection system. McGee, Ryan // Military & Aerospace Electronics;Aug96, Vol. 7 Issue 8, p1
Reports that the US Navy is acquiring a mine detection and countermeasures system called Magic Lantern. Use of laser to detect mines and other obstructions in water.
- Mine your own business. // Earth Island Journal;Winter98/Spring99, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p3
Reports on the efforts of the United States Navy (USN) to search for mines in the Baltic Sea. Number of mines that still lie submerged off the shores of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania as of 1999; Information on the dolphins brought by the USN in the Baltic.
- Don't Forget Dedicated Mine Countermeasures. Molenda, Patrick A. // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Oct2001, Vol. 127 Issue 10, p38
Reports the organic mine countermeasures (MCM) of the United States Navy. Potential improvements in MCM technology; Effectiveness of mines as a sea-denial instrument; Capability in decreasing the impact of mines.
- U.S. NAVY MINE WARFARE VISION...PROGRAMMES...OPERATIONS: KEY TO SEA POWER IN THE 21ST CENTURY. Ryan, Paul J. // Naval Forces;2003, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p28
Discusses the U.S. Navy's (USN) mine warfare program. USN experiences with mines; Modernization of the USN mine inventory; Evolution of the service's concepts of operations.
- Trailblazers. // All Hands;Sep99, Issue 989, p28
Offers a look at the United States Navy's mine warfare triad of mine countermeasures ships, mine countermeasures helicopters and explosive ordnance disposal divers. List of the Mine Countermeasures Ships (MCM); Examples of the Coastal Minehunters (MHC); List of the Mobile Mine Assembly Units...
- Navy's net for mines. // Popular Mechanics;Feb94, Vol. 171 Issue 2, p18
Reports on the Pentagon's study of a net woven with explosives to counter surf-zone mines. Surf-zone mines as threat to hit-the-beach operations; Use of twin solid rocket boosters to launch the net from an unmanned hovercraft; Creation of a massive overpressure upon detonation.
- LCS Mission Module Introduced. // Sea Technology;Oct2007, Vol. 48 Issue 10, p9
The article reports that the U.S. Navy has launched the first of three littoral combat ship (LCS) mission packages which is the mine warfare (MIW) mission package in Panama City, Florida, in September 2007. The MIW mission package is made up of unmanned and airborne mine countermeasure systems....
- Going Organic. Butler, Amy // Aviation Week & Space Technology;6/18/2007, Vol. 166 Issue 23, p95
The article reports on the plan by the U.S. Navy to field its first organic airborne mine countermeasures capability. The Navy plans to introduce the first of five of the MH-60S's key mine-hunting components into the fleet by year-end. The AN/AQS-20 Mine Hunting Sonar system is nearing...