U.S. Navy Mission and Organization
- Navy's Future Fleet, A Family of Ships. Loren, Donald // Officer;Oct2002, Vol. 79 Issue 8, p22
Focuses on the missions of the U.S. Navy. Plans of countering enemy mines; Use of transformation ships during the war; Way of improving the survivability of the ship.
- Risk creep. Thomas, Capt. Ivan // Approach: The Naval Safety Center's Aviation Magazine;Feb99, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p2
Relates the author's experience with the United States Marine Expeditionary Unit in a naval mission to do a company raid from a ship starting from the New River Marine Corps Air Station in Jacksonville, Florida. Takeoff aboard the CH-53E helicopter; Buildup of fog and reduced visibility;...
- Lest We Forget. Wertheim, Eric // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Aug2002, Vol. 128 Issue 8, p102
Features the attack transport ship, Menard launched on October 1944 by the U.S. Navy. Details about the ship; Use of the ship for invasions and military missions; Overview of the missions of the Navy onboard the ship.
- Supersonic 'Fly-Bye'. Krause, Lt. Garrett V. // Approach: The Naval Safety Center's Aviation Magazine;Feb99, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p4
Relates the author's experience as a pilot for the United States Navy during a mission calling for a single aircraft to fly a missile profile toward a line of a battle group's ships. Delay in the positioning of the ship; Shortage of gas during the fly-by of the carrier; Discussion on the...
- Is Our Navy Trapped in China? Berrigan, Darrell // Saturday Evening Post;9/25/1948, Vol. 221 Issue 13, p26
The article presents information on the experiences of the members of the U.S. Navy in Tsingtao, China who are on a mission to help stabilize the city from the hands of the Chinese communist armies. The soldiers are disturbed seeing Chinese refugees steal or beg or scrape through the debris of...
- The Maine ingredient. Hart, Michael R. // All Hands;Jul94, Issue 927, p14
The article focuses on the primary mission of the U.S. Navy Patrol Squadron.
- An Antarctic tale. Hinebaugh, Mark A. // Naval Aviation News;Mar/Apr95, Vol. 77 Issue 3, p24
Presents the author's accounts of a naval aviation mission to McMurdo Center in the Antarctic region during a major snow storm. Previous problems due to bad weather; Background on Robert Falcon Scott's exploration of the region; Steps taken by the crew to overcome the crisis.
- Osprey Program Restructured; V-22 Test Flights Resume. Burgess, Richard R. // Sea Power;Jul2002, Vol. 45 Issue 7, p21
Presents updates related to the operations of the U.S. Navy, as of July 2002. Details on the restructured test program for the MV-22B Osprey aircraft of the Marine Corps and the Air Force Special Operations Command; Effort of the U.S. Navy to evaluate ways to achieve fuller integration of Navy...
- Â“LAT THEM EAT SALMON!Â”. JAMES, L. RICK // Sea Classics;Jan2013, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p14
The article informs about the history of the submarine chaser, SC-761 of the U.S. Navy. It informs that the sub chaser was selected to perform a mission titled "Frought with danger." The article also informs that it was a rescue mission of Australian Coast Watchers from Bougainville Island in...