Rethinking HR Practices
- Searchlight On Personnel Testing. Burns, John E. // Industrial Management;Nov67, Vol. 9 Issue 11, p15
Discusses several issues on personnel management in different U.S. industries in November 1967. Information on the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations Institute on Testing; Masters degree program for employees of General Electric; Increase in personnel function.
- Vigilance Stops Violence-and Lawsuits. Wiscombe, Janet // Workforce;Oct2002, Vol. 81 Issue 10, p38
Offers tips on how human resource (HR) can prevent workplace violence. Role of HR departments in the promotion of industrial safety; Legal issues on sexual harassment. INSET: Facing Up to Workplace Hostility.
- Message to the board: ignore HR at your peril. // Personnel Today;9/10/2002, p2
Reports on the need for companies to recognize human resource (HR) skills to avoid workplace unrest. Need for HR teams to have the competencies for tough negotiations; Risks of ignoring the need for strong HR; Increase in the number of employers expecting a strike ballot.
- Identifying Knowledge Workers: Using Direct Versus Indirect Approaches. Caddy, Ian // Employment Relations Record;2007, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p47
This paper reviews recent research efforts relating to knowledge workers. The review found that the term 'knowledge worker' is a broadly inclusive term rather than one with a specific and narrow meaning. This finding raises issues about what focus should further research on knowledge workers...
- HUMAN RESOURCES. Ramirez, Diana // TK...Topeka's Business Magazine;Winter2010, Vol. 4 Issue 6, p8
The article presents questions and answers related to human resource management including how do human resource professionals handle tough conversations, such as body odor, suspension of theft, and being late, with employees, and how to motivate employees to be more productive.
- Workforce Analytic Tools Make Data More Useful. Britt, Julie // HR Magazine;Oct2003, Vol. 48 Issue 10, p10
Introduces a series of articles which deal with human resource management.
- ROADBLOCK: OLD-CLUB MENTALITY. Duvall, Mel // Baseline;May2004, Issue 30, p38
This article presents responses to a problem of how organizations get human resources managers to make decisions from statistical analysis instead of instinct. One of the keys to getting managers to use statistical analysis for human-resources decisions is finding practical metrics that can...
- Attract Top Candidates by Putting Them in Control. McCagg, Brin // Banking New York;Sep2012, Vol. 24, p28
The article discusses empowerment as a means to attract talents to the company which can be attained by providing information and control, one of which is through a web-based talent community. Topics include the downside of the conventional methods of hiring which is based on a job opening, and...
- Is this happening to you! KAUL, SURABHI // Human Capital;Jul2013, p42
The article focuses on issues related to human resource and personnel management. It highlights the importance of establishing effective leadership and communication in the organization as well as motivation in the workplace and corporate success. Other information such as employee performance...