VIEWPOINT: FIGHT SUPER BUGS
- ABC's of Antibiotic Free. Petrak, Lynn // National Provisioner;Aug2007 Supplement, Vol. 221, p19
The article discusses the use of antibiotics in poultry and livestock in the food industry in the U.S. It states that some consumers do not want any veterinary drugs in their protein source. Several natural food companies are starting to move away from using antibiotics. Some of the companies...
- Resistance monitoring in Denmark, 1997 - DANMAP. // Weekly Epidemiological Record;4/23/99, Vol. 74 Issue 16, p125
Reports the release of the second report of the Danish Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring and Research Program in Denmark. Decline of antibiotics consumption in human treatment; List of antibiotic resistance bacteria; Implementation of a ban on the use of avoparcin.
- Children and Antibiotics: Cutting Back on Inappropriate Prescriptions. // HealthFacts;Mar99, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p1
Reports that the widespread inappropriate prescription of antibiotics has caused a worldwide health crisis. Emergence of drug-resistant bacteria; Inappropriateness of antibiotics for viral infections; Concern for overuse of antibiotics in children.
- Too much of a good thing? Darlington, Vicki // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);02/01/99, Vol. 19 Issue 31, p25
Focuses on the growing cases of drug-resistant microorganisms due to the overuse of antibiotics. Instances cited by physicians that pressure health personnel to give antibiotics; Recommendations of health care consultants for doctors to use antibiotics only when necessary.
- Reducing antimicrobial resistance: Five common illnesses that do not warrant antibiotic use. // Formulary;Jan1999, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p67
Discusses guidelines in preventing antimicrobial resistance of microorganisms through proper use of antibiotics. Alarming statistics related to drug-resistance of microorganisms; Information about five common illnesses that do not warrant antibiotic use; Tips in promoting judicious antibiotic use.
- The draining of a drug. Nowroozi, Christine Kilgo // Nation's Business;Jan96, Vol. 84 Issue 1, p50
Discusses ways to prevent bacterial resistance to antibiotics. Overuse and misuse of antibiotics; Ability of nearly all disease-causing bacteria to fight antibiotics; Ability of antibiotics to treat only bacterial infections; Erroneous presumptions of allergic reactions.
- Of bugs and drugs. Nordhaus-Bike, Anne M. // H&HN: Hospitals & Health Networks;10/20/97, Vol. 71 Issue 20, p72
Provides information on the effects of antibiotic resistance of microbes and bacteria. Effect on th overuse of antibiotics on viruses and bacteria; Effect of resistance on hospital infection; Seriousness of nonresistant staff germs; Implications of vancomycin-resistant strain of bacteria.
- It takes a village to overcome antibiotic resistance. Walker, Tracey // Managed Healthcare Executive;Oct2002, Vol. 12 Issue 10, p34
Focuses on emerging community outreach plans in the United States to educate members, physicians and pharmacies on appropriate antibiotic usage to prevent the spread of drug-resistant microorganisms. Scope of such programs; Establishment of clear guidelines to ensure success. INSET: Actions...
- New agents for gram-positive pathogens. Zak, Erica; Markert, Bethany; Brown, Jack // Infectious Disease News;Dec2009, Vol. 22 Issue 12, p10
The article discusses studies on the efficacy of the antibiotic ceftobiprole against resistant gram-positive pathogens like methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.