- ALABAMA Mayor Eyes JeffCo Post. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;9/8/2011, Vol. 377 Issue 33579, p9
The article reports on the interest showed by Hoover, Alabama Mayor Tony Petelos to become the first manager in Jefferson County in 2011.
- `May I speak with the manager?'. Wade, Beth // American City & County;Oct98, Vol. 113 Issue 11, p24
Discusses the role of city and county managers in the United States. Handling of local budgets; Authority to hire and terminate personnel; Factors attributed to the changes in the administrator's role; Involvement in policy development. INSETS: Governments gain by retaining risk manager, by...
- Enhancing The Manager/Fire Chief Relationship. Benest, Frank; Grijalva, Ruben // Public Management (00333611);Jan/Feb2002, Vol. 84 Issue 1, p6
Focuses on the importance of developing the relationship between city/county managers and fire chiefs to promote effective collaboration in addressing mutual challenges. Problems facing managers and chiefs in California; Local government disciplines involving managers; Negative images of...
- The Big Fish. // Public Management (00333611);Nov99, Vol. 81 Issue 10, p3
Gives advice on how a county manager could help a company open a facility that it will not be interpreted as an endorsement of the company by the local community. Advice from ICMA about writing endorsement letters; Ways to provide information.
- What city managers can learn from county management. Manahan, Jack // Public Management (00333611);Mar94, Vol. 76 Issue 3, p22
Discusses lessons to be learned by city managers from professional county government. Counties as growth market for professional managers; Importance of communication between staff and members of governing body; Importance of organizational process.
- Live from the boardroom! Johnson, Leon // Public Management (00333611);Mar96, Vol. 78 Issue 3, p18
Reports on Henrico County, Virginia manager Virgil Hazelett's hosting of the first countywide teleconference with county employees on June 29, 1995. Conceptualization of the teleconference; Use of the Institutional Network to set up the teleconference; Conduct of the first session; Initial...
- To Serve the Public, Harnett County Manager Neil Emory Promotes Teamwork. Reed, Steve // Public Management (00333611);Jan2008, Vol. 90 Issue 1, p38
The article profiles Neil Emory, manager of Hartnett County, North Carolina. He was a local baseball coach for the past 12 years. He was an assistant coach of the Dunn All-Stars team playing in Dixie League tournament. He earned both his undergraduate and master's degrees from Appalachian State...
- Past and future of Va. county manager. // American City & County;May2004, Vol. 119 Issue 5, p20
Provides information on the book "County Manager Government in Henrico, Virginia: Implementation, Evolution, and Evaluation," by Nelson Wikstrom. Career background of the author; Topics discussed in the book; Price.
- Back to the Starting Block. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;5/19/2011, Vol. 376 Issue 33520, p9
The article reports on the plan of the Jefferson County Commission in Alabama to conduct another search for a county manager or ask suggestions for potential candidates from its professional search firm.