Bedside Placement of Small-Bowel Feeding Tubes In the Intensive Care Unit
- NUTRITION IN THE ICU. Racco, Marian // RN;Jan2009, Vol. 72 Issue 1, p26
The article discusses nutritional support for patients who are mechanically ventilated in the intensive care unit (ICU). The adverse effects of malnutrition in the critically ill patient are examined, including increased risk for infection, pulmonary edema, and impaired surfactant production....
- Evidence-Based Practice for Enteral Feedings: Aspiration Prevention Strategies, Bedside Detection, and Practice Change. Fellows, Linda S.; Miller, Elaine Hogan; Frederickson, Martha; Bly, Barbara; Felt, Patricia // MEDSURG Nursing;Feb2000, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p27
Describes the processes used for evidence-based changes in hospital policy and nursing practice for aspiration prevention and detection of enterally fed patients. Details on prevention strategies; Research studies on bedside methods for aspiration detection during enteral or oral feedings;...
- Use and benefits of enteral nutrition. Stratton, Rebecca // Primary Health Care;Mar2002, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p25
Explains the need for enteral nutrition or oral nutritional supplements (ONS) and enteral tube feeding (ETF). Practicalities of using both supplements and tube feeding; Clinical effectiveness of the two methods of nutritional support; Guidelines for using ONS and ETF.
- Enteral Products. Connolly, Melanie V. // Nutrition in Pediatrics: Basic Science & Clinical Applications;2008, p877
A variety of algorithms and forms that relate to articles about enteral products that appeared in the January 2008 issue of "Nutrition in Pediatrics: Basic Science & Clinical Applications" are presented.
- RelaciÃ³n entre las cantidades de cobre y zinc administradas a pacientes graves con nutriciÃ³n parenteral total y los niveles de cobre y zinc en plasma y eritrocitos. Menéndez, A. M.; Weisstaub, A.; Montemerlo, H.; Alloatti, S.; Guidoni, M. E.; Rusi, F.; de Portela, M. L. // Nutricion Hospitalaria;jul/aug2008, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p373
Objectives: Complications resulting from zinc and copper deficiency, or adverse effects from excessive zinc and copper intake should be avoided during total parenteral nutrition (TPN). This study was conducted on critically ill patients requiring TPN to determine the relationship between the...
- The psychosocial impact on parents of tube feeding their child. Rollins, Hazel // Paediatric Nursing;May2006, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p19
A review of 13 papers investigating parents' experience of long-term tube feeding in disabled children and young people identified a significant impact on parents and families related to oral feeding, decision making and tube feeding itself. Mixed messages and pressure from health professionals...
- Endoscopic nasoenteral feeding tube placement following cardiothoracic surgery. Vaswani, Surender K.; Clarkston, Wendell K. // American Surgeon;May1996, Vol. 62 Issue 5, p421
Determines the safety and efficacy of nasoenteral feeding tube placement as a means of providing enteral nutrition in critically ill patients following cardiothoracic surgery. Risk of aspiration; Advantages of endoscopic placement of feeding tubes.
- ENTERAL AND PARENTERAL NUTRITION. Irving, Miles // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);11/16/1985, Vol. 291 Issue 6506, p1404
Focuses on enteral and parenteral nutrition in hospitals. Types of malnutrition in hospital patients; Citations on the nutrients used in parenteral and enteral feeding; Complications of enteral and parenteral nutrition.
- Continuing Medical Education Questions: August 2013. DeVault, Kenneth R; Govani, Shail; Choksi, Neel // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Aug2013, Vol. 108 Issue 8, p1267
A quiz related to the nutrition in older people is presented concerning mortality in the elderly, required amount of calcium, vitamin D and protein intake in older people, and facts about enteral tube feeding in the elderly.