Texas Looks to Get Creative With Debt to Battle Shortfall
- Legislature funds round five of courthouse grants. // Clarendon Enterprise (TX);7/5/2007, Vol. 18 Issue 29, p12
The article reports that a Texas appropriations bill includes funds for historic preservation of courthouses.
- Unexpected Texas Agency Budget Crunches Could Be Burning Bush. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;07/12/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30930, p5
Reports the call for Texas Governor George W. Bush for an emergency appropriations when the state's Legislature convenes in January 2001. Estimated amount to be approved for additional funding of several state agencies; Reception of the market of the revenue bond issue sold by the Public Finance...
- Texas expects deficit. // State Government News;Aug2000, Vol. 43 Issue 7, p9
Reports that Texas could face a budget shortfall when the fiscal year ends August 31, 2000. Impact of the shortfall.
- The Next Big Idea: Transparent, Zero-Based Budgeting. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;3/3/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31584, SOUTH WEST p32
Reports on public finance conditions of Texas as of March 3, 2003. Variation in the state's revenue during 1998-2001; Estimated revenue shortfall for fiscal 2003; Proposals of the budget for fiscal 2004-05.
- Texas plans refunding deals to trim prison-leasing costs. Sanders, Lisa // Bond Buyer;05/15/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30394, p1
Highlights the Texas Public Finance Authority's plan to refund 11 series of revenue bonds issued by local governments. Effort to assist the Texas Department of Criminal Justice reduce its prison-leasing costs; Aspects of the $172.2 million deal that traces its roots to 1988; Approval from the...
- Texas Faces Special Budget Session. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;5/19/2011, Vol. 376 Issue 33520, p4
The article reports that Texas lawmakers will have to act on a special budget session on May 19, 2011 to complete the state's two-year budget unless the House Appropriations Committee will approve the Senate's plan to bring in 2.6 billion dollars of non-tax revenue.
- Comptroller Susan Combs Distributes $534 Million in Local Sales Tax Revenue. // Bulverde Standard (Canyon Lake, TX);8/22/2007, Vol. 23 Issue 34, p17
The article reports that Texas comptroller Susan Combs allocates $534.2 million of the August sales tax allocation to the local governments budget.
- Houston-Area Voters May Face $2.6B of Debt This November. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;8/3/2007, Vol. 361 Issue 32684, p4
The article reports that voters may approve billions of bonds in November 2007 to raise money for the growing demands of Harris County and two school districts in Texas. The Houston Independent School District (HISD) has outlined plans to place bond proposal on the ballot, and voters will also...
- Texas Sets $2B to Cover Benefit Loans. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;4/28/2010, Vol. 372 Issue 33307, p1
The article announces the possibility on the issuance of about 2 billion U.S. dollar worth of bonds in Dallas, Texas to cover up unemployment benefit loans and for the state to be able to repay its loans in 2011 before maturities.