As Utah Deficit Grows, Lawmakers Consider Tapping Rainy-Day Fund
- Calif. May Have Seen Its Last Late Budget. Saskal, Rich // Investment Dealers' Digest;11/5/2010, Vol. 76 Issue 41, p9
The article focuses on the passage of Proposition 25 in the state of California. It states that Proposition 25 does not change the two-thirds supermajority requirement to increase taxes, but allows for a state budget to pass with a majority vote in the U.S. Congress. Furthermore, the voters have...
- Deficit cutting on agenda, but to what degree? Soule, Alexander // Fairfield County Business Journal;1/19/2009, Vol. 48 Issue 3, p3
The article reports on the agenda of the Connecticut General Assembly, including tackling revenue shortfalls and budget deficit reduction in January 7, 2009 in Connecticut. It states that Senator Donald Williams Jr. introduced the first bill, which focuses on economic security for families...
- Unlike California, Utah Legislature does the hard work, balances state budget despite declining revenues. Stephenson, Howard // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;10/20/2008, Vol. 38 Issue 17, p26
The author commends the decision of Utah Governor Jon M. Huntsman Jr. and the Utah Legislature to hold a special session in September 2008 to address the budget situation of the state. The author agrees with the decision of the governor and the legislature to cut spending instead of raising...
- What happened from 5 points of view. Culbertson, Katie // Indianapolis Business Journal;06/21/99, Vol. 20 Issue 14, p40
Presents interviews with Indiana state legislators concerning the outcome of the budget session. Failure of leadership during the session; Passing of a balanced budget; Rivalry between Indianapolis and the rest of the state; Tax abatement for high technology personal property; Role of the media...
- Budgets, terror top agendas. // State Government News;Feb2002, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p6
Deals with the news story reported by the Associated Press on January 7, 2002 about the legislative agenda of state legislatures in the U.S. in 2002. Reduction of state budgets; Prevention of terrorism.
- Dueling Budget Bills Pass. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;3/27/2012, Vol. 379 Issue 33686, p7
The article reports on the move of the House and Senate chambers of the Kansas Legislature to adopt the versions of a 14 billion U.S. dollars budget for fiscal 2013.
- Legislature focused on budget. // Graham Leader;4/20/2011, Vol. 135 Issue 71, p2A
The article reports on the move of Texas Legislature to pass bills focusing more on state budget for 2012-2013.
- Open for business? // Westchester County Business Journal;6/21/2010, Vol. 49 Issue 25, p4
In this article the author discusses the need for the New York state Legislature to pass a final state budget that does not hurt businesses with fees and taxes.
- MNA scores victories in state budget. // Massachusetts Nurse;Aug2003, Vol. 74 Issue 6, p4
Focuses on the completion of the state budget for fiscal year 2004 by legislators on Beacon Hill in Boston, Massachusetts. Multi-million decrease of the budget faced by the legislators; Reason of the budget deficit; Effort of the Massachusetts Nurses Association in protecting and preserving...