Healthcare Costs: A Bitter Pill
- Up and Away. Gearon, Christopher J. // H&HN: Hospitals & Health Networks;Aug2002, Vol. 76 Issue 8, p16
Reports on the steps taken by hospitals in the U.S. in an attempt to cut costs amidst the continuous rise in malpractice insurance premiums. Action taken by the Methodist Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Effects of the handling of premium and litigation costs on hospitals; Factors...
- Defensive Medicine and Disappearing Doctors? Baicker, Katherine; Chandra, Amitabh // Regulation;Fall2005, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p24
Examines the differences between U.S. states and over time in malpractice payments and premiums, the physician workforce, the use of and spending on various medical procedures and health insurance premiums. Impact of the growth of medical malpractice liability costs on medical care; Assessment...
- Premium Hikes Filtering Down To Employees. Sanchez, Mark // Grand Rapids Business Journal;10/29/2001, Vol. 19 Issue 44, p1
Reports that employers coping with increases in health premiums are shifting more of the financial burden to employees in Michigan. Change in the attitude of employers; Percentage-based prescription plans; Hospital spending share of health care costs.
- Did You Know That...? // People's Medical Society Newsletter;Dec2002, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p4
Reports the level of health insurance premiums in the U.S. from 1996 through 2000.
- PREMIUMS RISE. Greene, Jan // H&HN: Hospitals & Health Networks;01/05/98, Vol. 72 Issue 1, p10
Presents information on the increase premiums in health care in California. Examination of the rise medical cost; Reasons why it is difficult for health maintenance organizations (HMOs) to reduce medical cost; Details on the HMOs receiving pressure from Wall Street.
- What reform? Insurance hikes hit a premium. Slowik, Elizabeth // Grand Rapids Business Journal;9/7/2010, Vol. 28 Issue 37, p1
The article discusses the estimated 12-15 percent increase in health insurance premiums for business enterprises in West Michigan when they renew their policies starting in September 2010.
- WEB POLL. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;8/26/2011, p30
Statistics is presented on the percentage of the people who expect their health insurance premium to go higher in the U.S. in 2012.
- Return premiums, judge rules. // Business Insurance;08/11/97, Vol. 31 Issue 32, p2
Cites a ruling by a federal judge in New York City which stipulated that health insurers and health maintenance organizations should receive refunds of $170 million in premiums they paid to a state excess medical malpractice fund. Problems which affected the New York Excess Medical Malpractice...
- Study: Utahns enjoy lower Medigap charges. // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;06/19/2000, Vol. 29 Issue 51, p17
Presents study results on Medigap charges conducted by Weiss ratings Inc. in the United States. Enjoyment of low Medigap fees by consumers in Utah and Maryland; Charges for New Yorkers and Floridians; Factor affecting variation in individual premium costs; Contrast between Florida and Utah...