New Elizabethan period
- Brave new world. Lea, Jane // Cabinet Maker;1/19/2007, Issue 5521, p49
The article presents a corporate profile of furniture retail shop Abitare in Wigan, England under the leadership of Philip Ashworth. At its showroom, customers can enjoy a complimentary cup of coffee while watching Sky TV. Few years before, Ashworth's family business and home were destroyed by...
- The chain wars. Kidd, Andrew // Cabinet Maker;05/12/2000, Issue 5187, p8
Examines the competitive Scottish upholstery retail market. Estimated number of furniture stores in Scotland; Major industry players; Performance of Landmark, Reid Furniture and other retailers.
- Retailers applaud G Plan campaign. // Cabinet Maker;07/21/2000, Issue 5197, p4
Reports that retailers have given their endorsement to G Plan Upholstery's upholstery marketing initiative in Great Britain.
- Upholstery dealers stock up. Gunin, Joan // Furniture/Today;3/4/2002, Vol. 26 Issue 26, p18
Reports the retail business of upholstery manufacturers in Tupelo, Mississippi. Reference to the business plans of upholstery producers; Placement of orders to acquire imported microfiber fabrics; Introduction of fabric patterns by Style-Line.
- ScS sales go up as weather cools down. // Cabinet Maker;10/24/2003, Issue 5361, p5
Reports on the sales growth experienced by upholstery chain, ScS, in September 2003.
- Hot prices, fresh colors key motion. Thomas, Larry // Furniture/Today;10/11/2004, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p200
Focuses on prices of reclining chairs by motion upholstery manufacturers in the U.S. Aim of manufacturers to find a niche at the upper end of the market; Concern of some manufacturers on the sustainability of the business; Improvement in retail sales in the market.
- Rooms to go nearly all gone in Wigan. Westphal, Linda // Cabinet Maker;11/28/97, Issue 5066, p7
Reports on Wigan, England retailer Elizabeth Furnishings' success in selling furniture off the floor after an experiment with roomsets. Background on the concept of roomsets; Company director Phili Ashworth's comment about the news.
- Foam price hike rocks upholstery industry. // Cabinet Maker;8/23/2002, Issue 5301, p1
Reports that British furniture retailers face increased upholstery prices as manufacturers struggle with a sharp rise in the cost of foam.
- It's enough to make you foam. Dixon, Audrey // Cabinet Maker;8/23/2002, Issue 5301, p1
Comments on concerns over across the board increases for upholstery in 2002 and its impact on the business of British furniture retailers.