Gender differences in the association of adult hopelessness with adverse childhood experiences
- Of Rainbows and Tears: Exploring Hope and Despair in Trauma Therapy. Jenmorri, Katrina // Child & Youth Care Forum;Feb2006, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p41
Existential themes of hope and despair are central in the care of child and youth survivors of abuse trauma. Researchers have argued that acts of abuse can disrupt a personï¿½s hope while shaking beliefs about purpose and meaning. Practitioners are called to implicitly offer their own hopeful...
- Baseline assessment of children traumatized by the Armenian earthquake. Azarian, Anait; Miller, Thomas W. // Child Psychiatry & Human Development;Fall96, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p29
Presents a longitudinal study on the impact of the Armenian earthquake on children screened by the Children's Psychotherapy Center in Kirovakan, Armenia. Memory functioning of traumatized children; Diagnostic indicators and trauma processing in child survivors.
- What will happen to the Simpson kids? Stasio, Marilyn // Redbook;Oct95, Vol. 185 Issue 6, p89
Relates the lives of children who have experienced the murder of one parent. Importance of allowing children to speak freely; Protection of children's privacy; Confronting their past.
- Understanding childhood trauma. Levine, Peter // Mothering;Summer94, Issue 71, p48
Discusses childhood trauma. Causes; How to determine if a child has been traumatized; Resolving a traumatic reaction.
- Help for the traumatized child--expert speaks from firsthand experience. // HealthFacts;Jul96, Vol. 21 Issue 206, p2
Reports on the conference `Trauma: The Impact of Post-Traumatic Stress on Children and Families,' held June 1996 at Fordham University, New York City. Lenore Terr as keynote speaker; Terr's work on the long-term effects of trauma in young children; Role of the health professional; Treatment.
- Alcoholic women report traumatic childhoods. // Addiction Letter;May96, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p3
Cites alcoholic women as having more traumatic childhood memories as compared with their non-alcoholic peers. Data from the study `Childhood Experiences of Alcoholic African-American and Caucasian women,' by Philip J. Michels, Peter Johnson et al,' published in `Substance Abuse.'
- Reactions and Guidelines for Children Following Trauma/ Disaster. Gurwitch, Robin H.; Silovsky, Jane F.; Schultz, Shelli; Kees, Michelle; Burlingame, Sarah // Communication Disorders Quarterly;Winter2002, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p93
Reprints the article 'Reactions and Guidelines for Children Following Trauma/Disaster' from the periodical 'PsycNET 2001.'
- Children Affected by Trauma and Alcoholic Exposure. Hyter, Yvette D.; Henry, James; Atchison, Ben; Sloane, Mark; Black-Pond, Connie; Shangraw, Kathryn // ASHA Leader;11/18/2003, Vol. 8 Issue 21, p6
Focuses on the Southwestern Michigan Children's Trauma Assessment Center (CTAC) in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Provision of comprehensive assessment services to children who are most at risk for long-term impairment across all domains; Focus on service provision, education/training and research. ...
- Growing Past Childhood Trauma. Brown, Waln K. // Reclaiming Children & Youth;Winter2011, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p13
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experiences of overcoming his childhood trauma.