N.J. to sell Rest of Tobacco Debt To Help Fill $5B Hole in Budget
- Running Out of Options, Tennessee Feels Heat to Institute Income Tax. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;6/6/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31402, p1
Reports the budget shortfalls in the state of Tennessee. Solution to the spending cuts of the government; Amount of the projected gap in the government; Plans on the increase of sales tax.
- The case for a sales tax. C.S. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;9/12/94, Vol. 21 Issue 39, p8
Considers how the push to eliminate the deficit has stalled tax reform in Alberta. Recommendations of the tax reform commission; Consideration of a broad-based consumption (sales) tax; Deficit halved; Willingness of Albertans to spend less; Great danger of sales tax; Warnings by University of...
- Expanding state sales tax does disservice to us all. Doerr, David R. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;1/10/2003, Issue 323032, p21
Discusses why the plan of the legislative body of the state of California to extend the state-local sales tax in order to close the state's budget deficit would have a negative effect on the economy. Discrimination against small businesses; Difficulty related to the administration of sales tax.
- Revenue-Strapped States Face Shortfalls, But Will They Last? DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;02/15/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31078, p36
Reports on the budget deficits faced by states in the southeast United States. Names of states relying on sales-tax collections for revenues; Creation of tax cuts in North Carolina; Elimination of budget shortfalls in Tennessee.
- The State Deficit. Shyavits, Marci // 21st Century;Jan90, Vol. 1 Issue 5, p9
The author reflects on the use of the sales tax in aiding the budget deficit of Massachusetts. The author states that most of the people are shopping at New Hampshire malls to avoid the 5% sales tax. The author also notes that the government is also planning to increase the sales tax of...
- Parishes, cities taking a hit on sales taxes. Stuart, Stephen // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);10/22/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 18, p4
Reports the influence of recession on the decrease in sales tax in New Orleans, Louisiana. Budget deficit experienced by the city; Decline in the revenue of the tourism industry; Types of taxes considered as revenue generating sources.
- Date set for implosion of New Frontier. Whaley, Sean // Las Vegas Business Press (10712186);11/5/2007, Vol. 24 Issue 45, p15
The article reports on the 5.7% decline in taxable sales in Nevada in August 2007, which marks the largest drop since September 2001. According to the author, the sales performance demonstrates a $20 million deficit in state budget due to the decline in sales tax receipts. Consumers spent a...
- California, Mired in Budget Stalemate, Readies $1.7B in GOs. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;6/13/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31656, p36
California is planning to market 1.7 billion dollars in general obligation bonds in the week following June 13, 2003 as analysts and investors express increasing concern over Sacramento's seeming inability to come to a compromise over how to solve the state's escalating budget crisis. Despite...
- N.Y. County Looking at $70M Refunding to Offset $130M Gap. McDonald, Michael // Bond Buyer;10/6/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 31984, p1
Reports on the plan of Erie County to issue a refunding bond to offset the balance deficit in New York. Generation of debt service savings; Consideration of increasing sales tax; Assessment of the declining budget reserves and lower liquidity.