GAO Official Urges More State Involvement in Federal Rail Policy
- Considering Amtrak's worst case. Barnes, David // Traffic World;08/25/97, Vol. 251 Issue 8, p19
Reports on preparations for the US General Accounting Office (GAO) to analyze the impact of a possible bankruptcy of Amtrak Corp. on the passenger rail line industry. Request from the US Congress to consider financial legislation to assist the company in case of a bankruptcy.
- Accounting & auditing report. // Practical Accountant;Aug2001, Vol. 34 Issue 8, p22
Reports on developments related to accounting and auditing standards in the United States as of August 2001. Public comments for U.S. General Accounting Office's proposed revision of Government Auditing Standards.
- Amtrak Problems. Wilner, Frank N. // Traffic World;7/3/2000, Vol. 263 Issue 1, p16
Focuses on the conclusions made by the U.S. general Accounting Office following an audit of Amtrak Corp.'s operations and business plan. Percentage increase of Amtrak's total costs above the rate of inflation; Lack of standards for the measurement of productivity; Need for a multi-year capital...
- Intercity Passenger Rail: Prospects for Amtrak's Financial Viability: RCED-98-211R. // GAO Reports;6/5/1998, p1
Pursuant to a congressional request, GAO reviewed: (1) Amtrak's current financial status; and (2) the outlook for its long-term financial viability. GAO noted that: (1) during the last 3 fiscal years, Amtrak reduced its annual net loss by only $72 million--from $834 million in fiscal year (FY)...
- Amtrak Management: Systemic Problems Require Actions to Improve Efficiency, Effectiveness, and Accountability: GAO-06-14. // GAO Reports;11/3/2005, p1
Amtrak has struggled since its inception to earn sufficient revenues and operate efficiently. In June 2002, Amtrak's new president began major efforts to improve efficiency. However, the financial condition of the company remains precarious, requiring a federal subsidy of more than $1 billion...
- Financial Accounting Standards: Accounting for Stock Options and Other Share-Based Payments: GAO-04-962T. Walker, David M. // GAO Reports;7/8/2004, p1
GAO discussed its perspective on the process for establishing accounting standards for private-sector entities and then, more specifically, the current proposals for accounting for stock options. We recognize that accounting for stock options is a complex and controversial issue on which...
- GAO sent team to study Japan's Ins. industry. // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;10/28/96, Vol. 100 Issue 44, p13
Reports that a team from the United States (US) General Accounting Office (GAO) was sent to Japan in October, 1996 to study the experience of U.S. insurers doing business there. How the study was carried out; When a preliminary report on the study will be issued.
- Serving the Congress and the Nation: Financial Markets and Community Investment Information: GAO-01-411SP. // GAO Reports;3/1/2001, p1
This is an insert to GAO's publication, Serving the Congress and the Nation, describing the role, functions, and responsibilities of GAO's Financial Markets and Community Investment team.
- GAO's Performance Plans for Fiscal Year 2007: GAO-07-146SP. // GAO Reports;10/17/2006, p1
This report presents the General Accounting Office's (GAO) Performance Plans for Fiscal Year 2007. In the spirit of the Government Performance and Results Act, this annual plan informs the Congress and the American people about what we expect to accomplish on their behalf in the coming fiscal...