Sorting Out Debt Service
- Voters in nearly 120 Ohio districts asked to approve tax levies. Schmidt, Peter // Education Week;11/1/95, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p6
Reports that the several school districts are asking voters to pass local property-tax levies. Financial problems of school districts in Ohio; Financial impact on school districts of rejecting property-tax levies.
- School tax rate ratified by vote. // Clarendon Enterprise (TX);6/6/2013, Vol. 24 Issue 23, p1
The article reports on the boosting of school funding at Clarendon Consolidated Independent School District in Texas after the voters have approved the 13-cent property tax increase on June 1, 2013.
- Minnesota. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;07/30/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30198, p30
Reports on Standard & Poor's upgrading of the Minnesota School District Credit Enhancement Program. Upgrading of the state's general obligation debt; State's debt service payments for school districts that do not make their payments at least three days before they are due to the paying agent.
- Lesson for Cook suburbs. Crown, Judith // Crain's Chicago Business;3/27/95, Vol. 18 Issue 13, p4
Reports on the effects of tax caps on the operations of school districts in Cook County, Illinois. Limitation of for property tax increases; Dismissal of teachers and employees to save on costs; Delay in repair and maintenance services; Increases in library fees and penalties.
- NEW MEXICO: School Seeks Tax Extension. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;11/21/2006, Vol. 358 Issue 32513, p35
The article reports on the opportunity of voters in New Mexico to decide on February 6, 2007 on the proposed extension of a property tax that funds maintenance efforts by the Albuquerque Municipal School District. The tax would cost property owners $2 per $1,000 of taxable value and would raise...
- PAYING FOR DESEGREGATION. Reidinger, Paul // ABA Journal;Nov88, Vol. 74 Issue 11, p96
Reports on the effect of increasing the local property taxes on school districts funds in Kansas City, Missouri. Failure of school district to sell bonds and raise property taxes within the constitutional limit; Imposition of surcharge on all income earned in the city; Use of the funds for...
- LOUISIANA: Ascension Awaits Bond Vote. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;9/17/2009, Vol. 369 Issue 33185, p9
The article reports on the 100 million dollar bond issue to be voted on October 17, 2009 for the upgrade of 20 schools of Ascension Parish-Wide School District in Louisiana. It states that the bonds will be supported by a four-year extension of 15.08 mill property tax. If approved, the proposed...
- Mich. officials scramble in wake of property-tax decision. Harp, Lonnie // Education Week;9/8/93, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p30
Discusses Michigan's legislature's decision to abolish property tax as a funding base for schools. Gaps in spending power between rich and poor school districts; Opportunities for reform in the educational finance system; Reclamation of $600 million in state revenue.
- Arkansas District Hopes Valentine Day Vote Wifi Hike Tax for Bonds. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;1/4/2012, Vol. 379 Issue 33642, p8
The article reports that the North Little Rock School District No. 1 in Pulaski County, Arkansas is appealing to voters to support the property tax increase which will be used as support bonds for the 265.6 million dollars improvement of the facility, on the 2012 Valentine's Day poll.