Improve lateral communication
- Eschewing the urge to obfuscate. // Supervisory Management;Jun95, Vol. 40 Issue 6, p5
Urges the use of simple words in written and spoken communication in order to prevent confusion. Etiology and bimonthly as two increasingly common problem words.
- Become a better communicator. Lewis, Jan // Women in Business;Jul/Aug96, Vol. 48 Issue 4, p32
Outlines ways on how to better communicate in paper or in person. Includes placing an emphasis on listening; Considerations in preparing a public speech; Steps in preparing a proposal.
- Becoming a better communicator. // Women in Business;Jul/Aug96, Vol. 48 Issue 4, p35
Presents a quiz on how to become a good communicator.
- Increasing educational videos' effectiveness. // USA Today Magazine;Dec95, Vol. 124 Issue 2607, p16
Presents information on increasing educational videos' effectiveness. Remarks by Katherine S. Cennamo, assistant professor of instructional development at Purdue University; Improving video instruction suggestions.
- Ways to avoid corporate-speak. Young, Davis // Public Relations Tactics;Jul96, Vol. 3 Issue 7, p5
Presents ways in avoiding corporate-speak. Communicating on ordinary ways; Use of the people's own language; Characteristics of reputation-building communications.
- THE PATIENT WHO COULDN'T SPEAK. Ross, Dennis W. // Saturday Evening Post;Sep/Oct92, Vol. 264 Issue 5, p64
Recounts the experiences of the author, then a medical student, with Harry, a patient who, unable to speak, communicated by Morse code. How stroke affected Harry's ability to communicate; Harry's experiences just prior to attack on Pearl Harbor; Special nature of communicating via Morse code;...
- COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN. // Saturday Evening Post;Mar/Apr93, Vol. 265 Issue 2, p36
Features caricatures on communication mishaps. Married couples; Single woman seeing a marriage counselor; Dating; School children discussing report cards.
- Communicating. Pollock, Ted // Electric Light & Power;Jun96, Vol. 74 Issue 6, p39
Outlines steps to enhance communications skills. Includes ensuring that the message is understood; Being credible; Repeating messages.
- Universal service, front and center. Levine, Shira // America's Network;4/15/2003, Vol. 107 Issue 6, p14
Focuses on issues concerning the market of rural communication carriers in the U.S. Ability of the local exchange carriers to draw out of the universal service fund; Creation of shortage in the market; Promotion of competition at the expense of the ability to recover the cost of the industry.
- How I broke it to my parents. Solin, Sabrina // Scholastic Choices;Jan98, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p14
Presents information on how to tell your parents bad news. Examination of Jason Buff's of Oradell, New Jersey ordeal; Presentation of bad news; Information on communication skills. INSETS: Good ideas?;You be the judge!.