Security Council supports direct talks between Iran and Iraq
- F-14 crew fires at Iranian jet. Greeley, B.M. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;8/17/87, Vol. 127 Issue 7, p22
A US Navy/Grumman F-14A providing protection in the Persian Gulf for a Navy patrol aircraft fired two air-to-air missiles at an Iranian fighter approaching the patrol on Aug. 8. Neither missile scored a hit. US rules of engagement defining hostile intent give ship & aircraft commanders...
- US sinks Iranian frigate in Persian Gulf... Greeley Jr., B.M. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;4/25/88, Vol. 128 Issue 17, p20
US Naval forces in the Persian Gulf destroyed two Iranian oil platforms, sank an Iranian frigate, and damaged several other vessels. None of the US warships were damaged, but a Marine Corps helicopter was lost and its two pilots are missing. . See also (Time, 5/2/88, 2c, 1 map, p40, 2p) See...
- The war powers act and the Persian Gulf. // Congressional Digest;Dec87, Vol. 66 Issue 12, p289
Section looks at the Senate debate over the invocation of the War Powers Act of 1973 as it pertains to the Persian Gulf situation. Includes the text of the War Powers Act, a chronological listing of incidents in the Persian Gulf, and recent congressional action on the situation.
- Engulfed. // Commonweal;9/11/87, Vol. 114 Issue 15, p467
Editorial. The situation in the Persian Gulf is one of impending disaster & very possibly war. Neutrality was our stated policy & the policy of our European allies. Today, the policy of our European allies remains intact, but our own has changed. The Administration has failed to tell us what...
- In brief. // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;8/9/96, Vol. 40 Issue 32, p28
Reports on developments in Iranian foreign affairs and industries as of August 9, 1996. Includes the granting of a $50 million grant to Bosnia for post-war reconstruction; International gas conference in the Kish island free zone; Planned visit by Turkey's Islamist Prime Minister Necmettin...
- Peace plan for Gulf region pursued. // United Nations Chronicle;Mar89, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p56
Reports on UN talks designed to achieve a final peace settlement for the Iran-Iraq War during the last months of 1988. Resolution details; Prisoner exchange agreement.
- Talks aimed at final peace settlement between Iran and Iraq continue. // United Nations Chronicle;Jun89, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p23
Describes talks aimed at achieving a final peace settlement between Iran and Iraq. Mandate of the United Nations Iran-Iraq Military Observer Group (UNIIMOG); Establishment of UNIIMOG in August, 1988; Call for full implementation of Security Council resolution 598; Details of the resolution;...
- A visionary's mideast peace plan. Wall, J.M. // Christian Century;5/13/87, Vol. 104 Issue 16, p459
Discusses the continuing violence in the Middle East as Jews and Arabs wage a bloody war, and examines the peace proposals of Meron Benvenisti, a leading figure in Israel's Labour Party.
- Iran's reprisals in the Gulf. // Newsweek;5/28/84, Vol. 103 Issue 21, p18
Persian Gulf threat. The oil wars are a test for Reagan. Will escalating attacks on tankers force him to intervene? What are the risks of intervention? INSET: map shows U.S. standby forces.;how will an oil cutoff affect us?.
- Iran fails to move. // Newsweek;6/25/84, Vol. 103 Issue 25, p37
The most important news from the Persian Gulf war last week was what didn't happen. Once again Iran failed to launch its `final' offensive against Iraq, for which it had assembled some 400,000 troops. If the offensive ever does get underway, theIranians may quickly discover that the military...