Maryland Senate OKs Cigarette Tax Hike
- Oregon Governor Vetoes Cigarette-Tax Backed Debt for Schools. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;8/9/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31446, p4
Reports the veto issued by Oregon Governor John Kitzhaber on bill about using cigarette tax revenue to secure bonds to fund schools. Approval of the lawmakers on the bill; Absence of the bill to secure adequate and sustainable funding for schools; Response of the lawmakers on the veto.
- School building blocked. Tita, Bob // Crain's Chicago Business;5/27/2002, Vol. 25 Issue 21, p4
Reports the threats posed by budget crisis on state spending on school construction and renovation in Chicago, Illinois. Proposal of increase in cigarette taxes in order to raise funds; Amount needed by the state education to continue the construction program; Concerns of school administrators.
- Calif. Initiative Would Spend Cigarette-Tax Hike on Children. Jacobson, Linda // Education Week;10/21/98, Vol. 18 Issue 8, p18
Focuses on Proposition 10, a California initiative that would spend funds from a cigarette-tax hike on children. Involvement of liberal Rob Reiner with the California Children and Families Initiative; Supporters of Proposition 10; Provisions of the proposition.
- Taxing option. // NEA Today;May94, Vol. 12 Issue 9, p8
Reports on the raising of sales taxes and cigarette taxes for the funding of public schools in Michigan.
- Texas House Hikes Taxes On Cigarettes. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/28/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32370, p1
The article reports that the Texas House has approved a cigarette tax hike but rejected a proposal to issue bonds for schools. The bond measure was stripped from HB 5, which was primarily written to provide supplementary revenue to fund public education. The Texas Supreme Court in November 2005...
- MIDWEST BOND-WATCH. // Bond Buyer;11/19/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31765, p35
Reports development related to bonds as of November 2003. Revision of Standard & Poor's outlook on Edward Health Services Corp.; Increase of cigarette tax; Balance of budget in education funds.
- Statehouse battles brew as session winds down. Feigenbaum, Ed // Indianapolis Business Journal;4/18/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 6, p14
Focuses on several legislative agenda that lawmakers need to accomplish before the end of the statehouse session in Indiana. Implementation of the daylight-saving time legislation in the state; Amendments in the educational funding; Proposition for tax increases on cigarettes.
- Marshall Focuses on Higher Education Funding at Forum. TIMONY, ERIN // State Journal (WV);12/19/2014, Vol. 30 Issue 49, p7
No abstract available.
- Cigarette tax hike would help children in Lone Star State. Tounget, Craig // Fort Worth Business Press;1/2/2004, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p50
Reports on the increase of cigarette tax asked by the Texas Parents and Teachers Association and other members of the Texans Investing in Health Families coalition to boost public school funding and to improve student performance. Advantage of increasing the cigarette tax; Increase in cigarette...