N.Y.C. Delays Controversial Tobacco Deal
- D.C. Council Undivided in Support of Tobacco Securitization. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;05/17/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30893, p4
Reports on the plan of the District of Columbia to enact legislation to sell bonds in order to securitize its share of the national tobacco settlement. Size of the bond issue; Implementation of the bond proposals.
- LOUISIANA: Tobacco Talks Continue. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;7/5/2007, Vol. 361 Issue 32664, p7
The article reports on the failure of Louisiana lawmakers to reach an agreement on securitizing the remainder of the state's tobacco settlement revenue. However, they did pass resolutions to hold a special session on the matter. HR 173 and SR 174 request Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco to...
- Legal Challenge Fails to Cool Alaska Tobacco Bond Sale. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;10/13/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 30995, p1
Reports on a legal challenge to Alaska's 115.5 million dollar tobacco settlement securitization. Bonds offered by the Northern Tobacco Securitization Corp.; Repricing of the bonds.
- Rating agencies' varied views on tobacco create great debate. Beer, Kieran // Bond Buyer;07/19/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30685, p31
Comments on the reactions of the participants of The Bond Buyer's Tobacco Settlement Conference in Washington D.C. on June 29-30, 1999 on the asset securitization of tobacco bonds. Debate on the proceeds of the Master Settlement Agreement (MSA); Projects to issue bonds backed by settlement...
- Whither tobacco cash? Kruger, Daniel // Bond Buyer;03/06/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30842, p1
Reports that bond issuers are trying to determine what approach to take in treating tobacco-related financing in the United States. Underwriting firms' suggestions on how to access settlement proceeds and financing methods that may help capture the value of future inflows; Debate between...
- Iowa Preps $850M Restructuring Of 2001 Tobacco Settlement Deal. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;10/13/2005, Vol. 354 Issue 32237, p1
Reports on the total cost of the restructuring of Iowa's tobacco settlement securitization deal. Details on the interest rates and demand for tobacco bonds; Selection of Citigroup Global Markets Inc. as the book-runner for the deal; Pledge of the state for its settlement to repay the original bonds.
- Tobacco Deal Yanked. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;10/25/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31003, p1
Reports on the bond issue of Contra Costa County, California backed by tobacco settlement securitizations. Expected yields of the bonds; Negative arbitrage that will be received by the bonds.
- Colorado Budget Committee Won't Push for Tobacco Debt. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/12/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31798, p1
Reports that Colorado Legislature's Joint Budget Committee will not recommend that the state follow the tobacco securitization. Basis of the committee's decision; Refusal to support tobacco debt; Issue behind the tobacco bonds.
- Tobacco-lawyer ABS just the start of cigarette spoils boom. O'Leary, Chris // Asset Securitization Report;1/22/2001, Vol. 1 Issue 3, pN.PAG
Reports that a soon-to-price bond deal securitizing the spoils from lawyers that won the landmark 1998 tobacco legal settlement should inaugurate a multi-billion issuance boom of tobacco-related deals in the U.S. in 2001. First-ever taxable bond offering to emerge from the legal settlement...