NEWS IN BRIEF
- Kazakhstan: Strong Performance Continues. // Emerging Markets Monitor;11/1/2004, Vol. 10 Issue 28, p13
Reports on the economic performance of Kazakhstan from January to September 2004. Growth of industrial output; Trade surplus lifted by oil extraction and gas output; Rise in the fixed asset investment of the country.
- Financial Instability and Income Distribution. Jarsulic, Marc // Journal of Economic Issues (Association for Evolutionary Economi;Jun88, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p545
This article provides a concise account of Hyman P. Minsky's theory concerning relationship of income distribution and financial instability. Minsky begins his explanation of capitalist dynamics from a Kaleckian view of income and output determination. That is, assuming an economy in which...
- PRICE FORMATION AND BALANCE RELATIONSHIPS. Turetskii, Sh. // Problems of Economics;Aug70, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p21
Discusses concepts of balance relationships and price formation. Factors that influence profitability and finances of the individual enterprise; Significance of a stabilized enterprise cost of production; Implications of changes in wholesale prices.
- September 2007. Chowdhury, Anis // Economic & Labour Market Review;Sep2007, Vol. 1 Issue 9, p6
GDP continued to grow robustly in 2007 quarter two, driven mainly by the services sector and supported by an upturn in manufacturing output. On the expenditure side in 2007 quarter two, business investment and household spending strengthened. The current account deficit narrowed in 2007 quarter...
- Does the trade balance really matter for regions? Ramos, Pedro // Annals of Regional Science;Mar2007, Vol. 41 Issue 1, p229
This paper explores the reasons why regional economics and policymaking do not focus on the regional balance of payments, although relevant imbalances â€“ comparing with countries â€“ may arise. The main purpose of the paper is, on one hand, to gauge the importance of these external...
- 124th ANNUAL SURVEY & OUTLOOK: MOLYBDENUM. Hartland, J. Barry // Engineering & Mining Journal (00958948);Mar93, Vol. 194 Issue 3, p44
The article discusses the market condition of the molybdenum industry in 1992, and forecasts industry activities for 1993. Balance of supply and demand for molybdenum and initiation of market recovery in 1992 have failed, as the market continue to experience its fourth consecutive year of...
- Estimating productivity and returns to scale in the US textile industry. Ramcharran, Harri // Empirical Economics;2001, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p515
In light of the textile industry's growing foreign competition, trade deficit and job loss, we estimate its productivity and efficiency for the period 1975ï¿½93 utilizing a variable elasticity of substitution production function. The results indicate that, despite job losses, the industry...
- CEE FX: Triggers For HUF Weakness. // Emerging Markets Monitor;12/13/2004, Vol. 10 Issue 34, p12
Focuses on the economic conditions of Hungary as of December 2004. Information on the carry trade in country; Improvement in the trade deficit of the country; Impact of its European Union accession on its industrial output growth.
- Wheat To Average USc520/bushel In 2010. // Emerging Markets Monitor;1/25/2010, Vol. 15 Issue 40, p4
The article focuses on the world market trend for wheat as of January 2010. Average wheat price is pegged at 520 U.S. cent (USc)/bushel in 2010 and USc575/bushel in 2011. It predicts that the global wheat production will contract by 3.6% to 662 million tonnes in 2009/10 and the U.S. wheat...