DIFFERENT FINISHES NEED DIFFERENT SOLUTIONS: How to keep floors clean
- Trouble Under Foot. // Chain Store Age;Apr2002, Vol. 78 Issue 4, p82
Deals with the action taken by the Villager's Hardware outlet of Home Depot in New Jersey to prevent moisture problems that degrade flooring materials. Indications of a moisture problem on floors; System adopted by the store outlet; Process involved in the application of flooring materials.
- Float a fancy floor. Renner-Smith, S.; Lees, A. // Popular Science;Nov88, Vol. 233 Issue 5, p96
Looks at some remarkable imported hardwood floors that go down without nailing over almost any existing flooring. Details of two different installation systems: Rowi, a Dutch import, and a Swedish system distributed by Tarkett.
- Laminated wood floors. Bakke, T. // Popular Science;Nov88, Vol. 233 Issue 5, p94
New laminated prefinished wood-floor systems can be easily installed over just about any floor, and their factory-applied coatings are said to be so strong and impervious that they can survive heavy foot traffic and hostile environments like the kitchen.
- Curing squeaky floors. Vara, J. // Country Journal;Jan1988, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p19
Discusses squeaky floors and how to prevent them from squeaking. Causes of squeaky floors; How to fix flooring and subflooring.
- Coatings for the wood floor. Vara, J. // Country Journal;Sep88, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p61
Discusses durable floor finishes. Paint; Oils; Varnishes; Swedish finish. Filing in the cracks.
- Sweeping up. Anderson, Walter // American School & University;Oct96, Vol. 69 Issue 2, p30
Presents the procedures for proper maintenance of resilient flooring. Effect of accumulated dirt and grit; Importance of frequent vacuuming to remove loose dirt and grit; Steps for cleaning heavy-traffic floors; maintenance requirements for no-wax floors; Preventive measures to prolong the life...
- Alternatives to floor refinishing. Vila, B. // Popular Mechanics;Oct88, Vol. 165 Issue 10, p26
Outlines an alternative to floor refinishing that may appeal to some old-house owners. It involves installing a new prefinished laminated wood floor right over the old wood floor.
- Installing hardwood flooring. Freudenberger, R. // Mother Earth News;Nov/Dec88, Issue 114, p60
Describes different kinds of hardwood flooring and tells how to plan for and carry out installation. Measuring the room; Plank or block flooring; Sanding and finishing.
- Selecting and maintaining vinyl flooring. Kurtz, Jeffrey // Journal of Property Management;Jul/Aug93, Vol. 58 Issue 4, p37
Provides insights on selecting and maintaining vinyl flooring suitable for residential settings. Facts about sheet vinyl; Installation process and techniques; Proper maintenance; Pointers on dealing with problems encountered; Vinyl as a good choice for commercial environments.