F/S OUTCOMES IN 2002 ELECTIONS
- ACCORDING TO USDA ANALYSIS: Minimum wage increases lift food & beverage 0.5%. // FoodService Director;05/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p28
Discusses the effects of the increases in the Federal minimum wage rate on the foodservice industry. How the rising minimum wage rates affects the prices charged to consumers; Why the foodservice industry will be greatly affected by the increase.
- Acorn Group pushes $7: How high will min. wage go. // FoodService Director;08/15/97, Vol. 10 Issue 8, p28
Reports that the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN), is leading a campaign to convince states and local governments to impose significantly higher hourly pay floors on employers in the foodservice industry. Reference to a proposal to raise the minimum wage to $7 in...
- Clinton calls for higher minimum wage rate. // FoodService Director;03/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p32
Focuses on United States President Bill Clinton's campaign to raise the Federal minimum wage rate for foodservice industry workers and other entry-level employees. Clinton's remarks during his States of the Union Address; Proposed legislation that would boost the current minimum wage.
- FED Research Concludes: Min. wage jump is taking a toll. // FoodService Director;11/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 11, p24
Focuses on the findings of a government report stating that a hike in the minimum wage would have a disproportionate impact on food service in the United States (US). Arguments against the minimum wage increase; Reasons for the difference between the earnings of food service employees and other...
- Minnesota wage freeze to thaw; operators seek tip credits. Allen, Robin Lee // Nation's Restaurant News;01/13/97, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p3
Reports on Minnesota-base foodservice operators' anticipation of a legislation battle over the pay rate of their tipped employees following a short reprieve from their tip-creditless status. State governor and other officials' approval of a temporary freeze in the tipped-employee pay rate;...
- There's more hope than shame in big salaries. Romeo, Peter // Restaurant Business;7/20/96, Vol. 95 Issue 11, p8
Editorial. Focuses on the `Restaurant Business' magazine's food service executive compensation ranking for 1995 in relation to the proposed minimum wage hike. Earnings of the restaurant industry's highest-paid executive; Support that the ranking can provide for minimum wage hike.
- Minimum Wage Increase Would Have Greater Impact on Food System Than on Overall Economy. Hamrick, Karen S. // FoodReview;Jan-Apr99, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p17
Asserts that minimum wage increase will have greater impact on the food system that the overall economy of the United States. Discussion on the food system as a large and growing employer; Demographic profile of food system workers; Job characteristics and earnings of food system workers; Rate...
- Maine minimum-wage amendment hits governor's desk. Allen, Robin Lee // Nation's Restaurant News;9/23/96, Vol. 30 Issue 37, p7
Reports on a measure amending Maine's minimum wage law that could freeze the cash wage for tipped employees after first giving them a temporary pay increase. Effect of the amendment on the state's tipped employees; Provisions of the amendment; Pressure on Governor Angus King from both pro-labor...
- Tipping point. Birke, Sarah // New Statesman;4/14/2008, Vol. 137 Issue 4892, p19
In this article the author discusses the service charges that are frequently added the bills paid by diners at a number of British restaurant chains. The author objects to the fact that these expenses, usually considered gratuities, are often charges that make up a part of the minimum wage paid...