L.A. SCHOOL REACTS TO SODA BAN
- Toward Junking Junk Foods. Lehmann, Phyllis E. // Education Digest;Jan1979, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p29
This article focuses on the problem of junk food in U.S. schools. Junk foods win hands down over the more mundane school lunch. But a few school districts, among them, Carrol County, Maryland, have been shaping a subtle strategy on the side of nutrition education that takes aim at junk food...
- Snack attack. // Food Management;Feb2002, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p52
Examines the snacks served by food service operators to school in the U.S. Prevalence of school children opting for salty snacks; Popularity of chocolate chip cookies; Comparative marketability of ice cream and yogurt.
- SCHOOLTIME SNACKS. Curry, Dale // New Orleans Magazine;Sep2007, Vol. 41 Issue 12, p50
The article focuses on issues related to healthy eating among children in schools in New Orleans, Louisiana. Menus at schools offer a range of choices that include pizza and hamburgers which raise health concerns among parents. Parents are advised to make a list of healthy snacks and food for...
- Conn. struggles with new nutrition rules. // FoodService Director;12/15/206, Vol. 19 Issue 12, p1
The article reports on the refusal of many school districts in Connecticut to sign up for the state's new Healthy Food Certification Program (HFCP). The HFCP sets specific standards for the types of foods and beverages that can be sold in schools that participate in the National School Lunch...
- BACK TO SCHOOL BITES. // La Prensa San Diego;8/22/2014, Vol. 38 Issue 34, p5
No abstract available.
- e-MOO Gets OK from Schools and Walgreen's. // Dairy Foods;Sep2002, Vol. 103 Issue 9, p11
Reports the approval of the distribution of the dairy-based beverage e-MOO of Mac Farms Inc. in school cafeterias by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Exemption of MAC from regulations; Projections by George Clark, vice president for operations of the company; Retailing of the beverage.
- Keeping Students with Food Allergies Safe in School. DEUTSCH, ANN LEMPERT // Education Digest;Jan2014, Vol. 79 Issue 5, p56
The author offers advice on how families and schools can collaborate to keep children with food allergies safe while in school and prevent exposure to allergens. Details are provided on the value of a Food Allergy Action Plan and emergency care plan to prevent anaphylaxis. Particular attention...
- Products at WORK. // Food Management;Feb2003, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p92
Barbara Otero, Food Service Director for Killingly Schools in Northeastern Connecticut, had absolutely no formal experience in Foodservice when she took a position as financial director for Killingly schools, despite growing up in a food-obsessed Italian family in Brooklyn, New York. When the...
- Dole to introduce vending machines offering healthful snack items at schools in four states. // Nation's Restaurant News;3/19/2007, Vol. 41 Issue 12, p84
The article reports that Dole Food Co. will introduce vending machines that offer healthful snack food products to schools. According to the company, the vending machines will offer Dole brand health foods such as fresh fruits and fruit bowls. The program is a partnership between Dole and the...