Southwest's New Democratic Governors Begin Terms Busy
- Alaska's Walker Warns of a Budget Crisis if Lawmakers Fail to Act. Glazier, Kyle // Bond Buyer;7/18/2016, Vol. 1 Issue 34545, p1
A report issued by the Alaska governor's office outlines "dire consequences" for the state's fiscal health if the state's legislature fails to take decisive action.
- Christie meets with Treasury over budget. Kitchenman, Andrew // njbiz;11/23/2009, Vol. 22 Issue 47, p9
The article reports on the meeting of New Jersey Governor-elect Chris Christie with state Treasury officials to discuss the budget crisis facing the state, held on November 16, 2009. According to Christie, the state needs to improve its business environment. Among the plans proposed by...
- Business As Usual For Budget In Albany. Barclay, Will // Business Journal (Central New York);3/27/2009, Vol. 23 Issue 13, p26
In this article the author discusses the impact of the economic crisis in Albany, New York. He states that if the governor would bring back the committees back with greater openness, they would be able to solve the state's fiscal crisis with greater efficiency and more equitably. He adds that in...
- State Budgets Hurt by Health Care, Housing Crisis. // State News (Council of State Governments);Jan2008, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p11
The article reports on the 2008 U.S. state budgets. According to the National Governors Association (NGA) and National Association of State Budget Officers (NASBO) 2007 report, overall revenue of the states has slowed in 2007 and financial strains should be expected in 2008. The continued...
- Governor's proposed budget sets penny-pinching tone. Feigenbaum, Ed // Indianapolis Business Journal;1/12/2009, Vol. 29 Issue 46, p12
The author reflects on the proposed budget cut by Governor Mitch Daniels in Indiana. The author argues that the operating budget cuts is in line with the international economic crises that began to unfold. The author believes that the work on budget will forced legislators to make assumptions...
- Magnitude of Fiscal Crisis Hits State Budgets. FUNK, LYNNE // Bond Buyer;10/16/2008, Vol. 366 Issue 32983, p1
The article reports on the budget cuts made by Governor Martin O'Malley in Maryland. More than $345 million in cuts were made to balance the state's fiscal 2009 budget in an effort to continually rein in spending as tax revenues drop sharply during the financial crisis. The action comes as news...
- Illinois Gov. Quinn Unveils $52.9B Budget. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/19/2009, Vol. 367 Issue 33083, p1
The article reports on the $52.9 billion fiscal 2010 budget unveiled by Illinois Governor Pat Quinn that calls for higher taxes and fees to help close a record of $11.5 billion deficit and find a capital program that relies on the $8.6 billion of new borrowing. The plan is aimed at restoring the...
- Governor's honeymoon didn't last long. CRAIN, KEITH // Crain's Detroit Business;2/28/2011, Vol. 27 Issue 9, p8
The article presents the author's views on the budget of newly elected governor in Michigan.
- The next round. // New Hampshire Business Review;7/2/2010, Vol. 32 Issue 13, p6
The article focuses on the claim of New Hampshire Governor John Lynch that the state budget's will be difficult to balance, but it is achievable.