Michigan Gov. Granholm Seeks New Approach for Cities
- Help keep buy-local movement moving. // Crain's Detroit Business;10/13/2008, Vol. 24 Issue 41, p8
The article reflects on the Michigan governor Jennifer Granholm's decision of giving preference to state companies as an effort to stand against the economic slowdown in the state. It is stated that it is time to look at the vendor lists and see if the purchasing decisions are driven by habit or...
- Chambers agree: Cut state spending. // Crain's Detroit Business;1/26/2009, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p8
The article reports that business groups across Michigan want the state government to cut millions of dollars in spending through substantive structural reform. The groups comprising Detroit Regional Chamber, Detroit Renaissance Inc., Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce and Michigan Chamber of...
- Deal with tribes revives revenue stream. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;3/24/2008, Vol. 24 Issue 12, p6
The article reports on the resolution of a federal lawsuit that involved the tribes' obligation to share casino revenue with the state of Michigan. Governor Jennifer Granholm, the Little River Band of Ottawa Indians and the Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians recently made an announcement...
- Mich. to Help Fund Loans to Small Firms. The Credit Union Journal // American Banker;11/10/2008, Vol. 173 Issue 217, p5
This article discusses a decision by Michigan governor Jennifer Granholm to issue an economic stimulus package for the state. This plan would set aside money for credit unions and small banks that agree to direct 80 percent of their lending toward Michigan businesses. Proposals to freeze...
- Michigan Bankers Worry About Tax Revamp Plans. Jackson, Ben // American Banker;9/27/2005, Vol. 170 Issue 186, p7
Looks at Michigan Governor Jennifer M. Granholm's plan to increase the tax burden of banks in the state. Review of how Michigan's House and Senate, which both have Republican majorities, have been working on a reply to the plan; Discussion of how banks support an alternative plan passed by the...
- MEDC will change 'from the inside out'. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;12/12/2005, Vol. 21 Issue 50, p6
The article offers information on some economic policy related developments in Michigan. Michigan Economic Development Corp. (MEDC) president and CEO Jim Epolito in Michigan is laying out a strategy to do more with less. He plans to change the MEDC "from the inside out." Many specifics are yet...
- Tax Fixes Hinted. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;11/12/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31760, p25
Reports on tax changes plan of Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm to balance a budget gap. Possible repeal of a cut in state income tax.
- Some advice for our new governor. // Crain's Detroit Business;11/11/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 45, p8
Presents suggestions for the governor Jennifer Granholm of Michigan elected in the year 2002. Priority for urban development; Increase in diesel tax; Concern for the business community.
- KEITH CRAIN: And now the really hard work begins. // Crain's Detroit Business;11/11/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 45, p8
Focuses on challenges faced by the governor of Michigan Jennifer Granholm. Stimulation of business; Increase in taxes; Need for cooperation of both the parties for success.