Tax Law Logjam Could End
- Market Eyes Streamlined VCAP System. Schroeder, Peter // Bond Buyer;6/12/2008, Vol. 364 Issue 32898, p1
The article reports that the U.S. municipal bond market has asked the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to make a streamlined version of its voluntary closing agreement program (VCAP). The Streamlined Closing Agreement Program (SCAP) will allow issuers to pay penalties for minor tax law and rule...
- OUTLOOK: What's Ahead for Tax Regulation, Enforcement in 2016. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;12/30/2015, Vol. 1 Issue 34435, p1
The biggest tax regulatory issue for municipal market participants in 2016 are the issue price rules and what changes the Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service will make as they finalize them, dealer and issuer group representatives said in interviews about the coming year.
- ABA Panel Seeks Revisions, Clarifications in Issue Price Rules. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;1/7/2016, Vol. 1 Issue 34440, p1
A group of lawyers is urging tax regulators to make some revisions and clarifications to proposed issue price rules to avoid confusion and make the rules more workable.
- Hatch's IRS appeal plan awaits committee nod. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;03/25/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30358, p4
Reports on the expected US Senate hearings for a proposal that would enable municipal bond issuers to appeal bond tax rulings by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Exclusion of the proposal from an IRS restructuring bill reviewed by the Senate Finance Committee on March 24, 1998.
- Magee, Miss., reveals settlement with IRS. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;12/18/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30543, p2
Focuses on the settlement between the city of Magee, Mississippi and the United States Internal Revenue Service regarding alleged tax-law violations in connection with the issuance of note issues totalling $282.2 million. Settlement by Mississippi localities of securities-fraud charges filed by...
- IRS Seeking Muni Professional to Serve Two-Year Term on Panel. Barnett, Susamna Duff // Bond Buyer;11/3/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32003, p5
The article reports on the assigning of a representative from the municipal bond community to serve a two-year term on its Advisory Committee on Tax-Exempt and Government Entities by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The IRS said in a notice published in the Federal Register that it is...
- GFOA lends support to issuer appeal rights. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;03/25/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30358, p6
Reports that the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) has supported a draft proposal designed to give municipal bond issuers the right to appeal when the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules that their bonds are taxable. Development of the legislation by Orrin G. Hatch; Plan for the...
- Appeals possible despite no IRS guidance. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;10/15/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30500, p4
Reports that issuers of municipal bonds can request the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Appeals Division to review their determination of taxability. Provisions of the Revenue Reform and Restructuring Act covering taxability issues.
- Professor: Tax Law Rulings Don't Support IRS Stance on Florida CDD's Bonds. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;11/12/2013, Vol. 122 Issue 34010, p1
The article informs that according to Ellen P. Aprill, a professor at the Loyola Law School, municipal bond tax law and rulings do not support the U.S. Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) stand that the Village Center Community Development District in Florida is not a political subdivision and...