Tax Law Logjam Could End
- Market Eyes Streamlined VCAP System. Schroeder, Peter // Bond Buyer;6/12/2008, Vol. 364 Issue 32898, p1
The article reports that the U.S. municipal bond market has asked the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to make a streamlined version of its voluntary closing agreement program (VCAP). The Streamlined Closing Agreement Program (SCAP) will allow issuers to pay penalties for minor tax law and rule...
- OUTLOOK: What's Ahead for Tax Regulation, Enforcement in 2016. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;12/30/2015, Vol. 1 Issue 34435, p1
The biggest tax regulatory issue for municipal market participants in 2016 are the issue price rules and what changes the Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service will make as they finalize them, dealer and issuer group representatives said in interviews about the coming year.
- ABA Panel Seeks Revisions, Clarifications in Issue Price Rules. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;1/7/2016, Vol. 1 Issue 34440, p1
A group of lawyers is urging tax regulators to make some revisions and clarifications to proposed issue price rules to avoid confusion and make the rules more workable.
- Hatch's IRS appeal plan awaits committee nod. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;03/25/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30358, p4
Reports on the expected US Senate hearings for a proposal that would enable municipal bond issuers to appeal bond tax rulings by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Exclusion of the proposal from an IRS restructuring bill reviewed by the Senate Finance Committee on March 24, 1998.
- Magee, Miss., reveals settlement with IRS. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;12/18/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30543, p2
Focuses on the settlement between the city of Magee, Mississippi and the United States Internal Revenue Service regarding alleged tax-law violations in connection with the issuance of note issues totalling $282.2 million. Settlement by Mississippi localities of securities-fraud charges filed by...
- IRS Seeking Muni Professional to Serve Two-Year Term on Panel. Barnett, Susamna Duff // Bond Buyer;11/3/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32003, p5
The article reports on the assigning of a representative from the municipal bond community to serve a two-year term on its Advisory Committee on Tax-Exempt and Government Entities by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The IRS said in a notice published in the Federal Register that it is...
- IRS Auditing $149 Million Denver Excise Tax Revenue Refunding. Schroeder, Peter // Bond Buyer;2/18/2009, Vol. 367 Issue 33064, p7
The article reports on the move of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to begin auditing the $149.2 million of excise tax revenue refunding bonds that the city and county of Denver, Colorado issued in 2005. It states that the city disclosed the IRS action in a notice with the nationally...
- GFOA lends support to issuer appeal rights. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;03/25/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30358, p6
Reports that the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) has supported a draft proposal designed to give municipal bond issuers the right to appeal when the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules that their bonds are taxable. Development of the legislation by Orrin G. Hatch; Plan for the...
- Senate scheduled to voted today on IRS reform bill. Resnick, Amy R. // Bond Buyer;07/09/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30431, p4
Presents news updates pertaining to the proposed legislation designed to overhaul the United States Internal Revenue Service. Scheduled Senate vote on the reform bill; Provisions with implications for the municipal bond industry.