Mississippi Receives $11M as Part of NCLB's Reading First Program
- $1.2 million grant is approved for Newburgh after-school programs. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;06/07/99-06/14/99, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p3
Reports on United States Representative Maurice Hinchey's (D-NY) announcement of a grant for after-school programs of the Newburgh Enlarged City School District in Newburgh, New York. Amount of the grant; School district's plan to establish community learning centers in several schools.
- Scholastic's Read 180 Will Be Used by Four of First Eight Striving Readers Grant Recipients. // Electronic Education Report;3/24/2006, Vol. 13 Issue 6, p1
The article plan of the recipients of Striving Readers federal grants to use the Scholastic's Read 180 reading intervention solutions to improve the literacy skills of adolescent readers in the U.S. According to Scholastic's vice president for K-12+ intervention Stefan Kohler, the Read 180...
- Reading experts question if `balance' is the answer. Manzo, Kathleen Kennedy // Education Week;05/12/99, Vol. 18 Issue 35, p8
Discusses reading experts' debate over the revamp in the reading programs of school districts and states in the United States. Disagreements over the best way to teach children to read; Reflection of balance in teaching methods.
- Students who fell short of reading goal had faces written on with permanent markers. // American School & University Exclusive Insight;11/19/2012, p7
The article reports that Cassia County School District fourth-graders who failed to achieve reading goals had their faces scribbled on with permanent marker by other students under the supervision of their teacher.
- Francis Howell getting students great by 8. Baraba, Sarah // St. Charles Journal;4/3/2013, Vol. 48 Issue 14, pA6
The article focuses on the Great by 8 volunteer-staffed program launched by the Francis Howell School District to get Missouri students up to grade-level reading by age 8.
- Reading and Writing Go Hand in Hand. // NEA Today;Jan2000, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p29
Highlights the reading education program implemented among district schools in Plainfield, New Jersey. Training given to teachers; Description of the program design; Outcome of the program.
- NEWS IN BRIEF. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;4/16/2007, Vol. 25 Issue 16, p3
The article presents news briefs related to the construction industry in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Grand Rapids Public Schools and Kent Intermediate School District have received financial support from the Downtown Development Authority. A $3.7 million improvements on nearly four miles of Chicago...
- Job Wire. // California Job Journal;6/1/2008, Vol. 26 Issue 1137, p2
This section offers news briefs related to employment. A survey by staffing services agency Robert Half International revealed that more employees have changed how they get to work or altered their schedules due to gas prices. A $1.5 million in workforce grants was received by the Los Rios...
- Agriculture Department Awards $23.5 Million in Distance Learning Grants. // Electronic Education Report;10/10/2003, Vol. 10 Issue 19, p5
No abstract available.