Gov. Davis Proposes Tax Increases to Close California Budget Gap
- Nebraska Lawmakers Hike Taxes, Reject Governor's Cuts. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/15/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31365, p4
Reports the preference of legislature of tax increases over spending cuts to balance fiscal 2002ï¿½2003 budget in Nebraska. Percentage increase of the individual income tax; Repeal of the 1999 tax reduction; Lack of funds to meet a mandatory three surplus.
- The interim on financial instruments still a niggle. // Accountancy;Feb1998, Vol. 121 Issue 1254, p9
Reports on Great Britain's Inland Revenue, Department of Treasury, and the Customs and Excise Department's publication of a joint code of practice on budget consultations. Government's intention to consult on tax policy matters.
- Casinos hint at job growth woes. Sodoma, Brian // Las Vegas Business Press;7/28/2003, Vol. 20 Issue 30, p1
Reports on the reaction of local gaming officials and tax experts on the budget passed by the Nevada Legislature in 2003. Increase on the tax imposed on the gross gaming revenues of gaming operators; Scope of the tax component of the budget; Elimination of burdensome business taxes.
- Lessons learned from Legislative session. Hunt, Lorraine // Las Vegas Business Press;7/28/2003, Vol. 20 Issue 30, p5
Comments on the 2003 legislative budget session in Nevada concluded in July. Budget and tax legislation passed; Selective increases in some taxes; Background on the gross receipts method of taxation.
- Oil tax rears its head once more. Stuart, Stephen // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);03/20/2000, Vol. 20 Issue 39, p1
Focuses on Louisiana's budget problems and tax reforms. Possibility of an oil and gas processing tax; Proposal to impose a value-added tax and a sin tax on alcohol, tobacco and gambling; Possible increase in the state tax; Supporters and opponents of the processing tax in Congress; Expected...
- Establishing more rational relations between federal and regional budgets. Semenov, G.; Tedstrom, John E. // Russian Social Science Review;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p3
Suggests ways of updating the tax-budget mechanism, the framework and financial bases of federalism in Russia. Impact of the existing structure of the redistributive processes and the existing authority in Russia's economy on relations between budgets; Budget sharing approaches; Tendencies in...
- LETTER. Olmsted, Scott // San Diego Business Journal;10/7/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 40, p47
Calls for the reduction of federal taxes in order to keep tax money in California. Imbalance between the taxes remitted by California to the federal government and the value of federal government's spending in California.
- Mixed tidings from surplus deal. // Indianapolis Business Journal;1/15/96, Vol. 16 Issue 44, p6A
Editorial. Comments on the budget surplus of the Indiana state for the year 1996. Estimated value of the surplus; Effect of the budget surplus on tax policies.
- State budget crunch sets stage for Lansing tax-cut battles. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;5/27/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 21, p37
Reports the impact of tax cuts on state budget in Michigan. Importance of commercialization and manufacture of alternative-energy technologies; Implication of an ongoing tax reductions for business and residents in jeopardy.