Mayor of Cash-Strapped Fountain Hills, Ariz., Dismisses Talk of Bankruptcy
- Harrisburg Bankruptcy Analysis Due; Release May Be Delayed. Kaske, Michelle // Bond Buyer;3/31/2011, Vol. 375 Issue 33492, p3
The article reports that analysis for the bankruptcy filing of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania may be delayed.
- How long will third class cities be hamstrung? // Central Penn Business Journal;11/18/2011, Vol. 27 Issue 47, p14
The article comments on the longstanding apathy of the state legislature of Pennsylvania toward the struggles of third class cities that has allowed 26 municipalities in the state to stagger toward bankruptcy before ultimately falling into Act 47 status.
- In hard-pressed Scranton, some long for a municipal bankruptcy. // Hill;1/13/2014, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p8
The article reports that residents of Scranton, Pennsylvania, want the city to declare bankruptcy.
- Bankruptcy in Anytown, USA. // Governing;May2012, Vol. 25 Issue 8, p11
The article focuses on the bankruptcy in Stockton, California which was seen by other cities in California as a warning of making poor decisions.
- Sixth annual ranking of top U.S. cities for small business. // Business Credit;Apr2000, Vol. 102 Issue 4, p67
Lists the top United States cities for small business. Top metropolitan statistical areas; Top cities in high technology; Lowest bankruptcy rates.
- Don't panic. Conley, Larry // American City & County;Aug2012, Vol. 127 Issue 8, p16
This article discusses the decision of the California cities of Stockton, Mammoth Lakes and San Bernardino to declare bankruptcy in August 2012. According to Chris Hoene, research director for the National League of Cities, the three cities fell victims to particular circumstances. In Mammoth, a...
- A Ground Witness to Detroit Speaks, while Governor Calls Bankruptcy. ESTES, CLARISSA PINKOLA // Moderate Voice;7/19/2013, p1
The article presents the author's comments on the city of Detroit, Michigan. The author believes that the city has already lived through the worst, such as corrupt governance and bankruptcy. According to the author, the city of Detroit is tough, but its recovery will be long and painful. The...
- Detroit as Bellweather? Maybe Not. Manganaro, John // Plan Sponsor News;2014, p61
The article discusses the factors that discourage cities to seek court protection from creditors in the U.S. It cites the bankruptcy proceeding filed by Detroit in Michigan, which could set important legal precedents to other municipalities. However, several bankruptcy experts argue that...
- On declaring bankruptcy. Lutz // Government Procurement;Oct99, Vol. 7 Issue 5, p23
Presents tips on how purchasing departments of municipalities can ably manage the process of filing for bankruptcy. Need for the availability of files and personnel to respond to auditors; Ensuring the security of records, computer files and fixed assets; Constant communication with employees;...