Faith vs. Statistics
- ZYGOTES & BLASTOCYSTS. Callahan, Sidney // Commonweal;6/14/2002, Vol. 129 Issue 12, p7
Comments on the debate on whether to protect human zygotes, blastocyts and embryos from manipulation or loss. Description on human zygotes; Arguments of pro-research groups; Position of the Catholic Church to experiments with human life.
- HELPING HAND. Scholl, David // Commonweal;4/24/2009, Vol. 136 Issue 8, p4
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Life & Science" in the March 27, 2009 issue.
- Deconstructing Obama on embryonic stem cells. // Our Sunday Visitor;4/12/2009, Vol. 97 Issue 50, p5
The author comments on the transcript of U.S. President Barack Obama's March 24, 2009 press conference on embryonic stem cell research.
- The meaning of life. // Nature;7/19/2001, Vol. 412 Issue 6844, p255
Reports that pro-life groups have denounced the Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine in Virginia for claiming to have created human embryos in vitro for the sole purpose of harvesting embryonic stem cells. Potential of stem cell research in reproductive medicine; How mammalian life starts;...
- Zu aktuellen Fragen der Biomedizin und dem Zugriff auf den menschlichen Embryo. Clausen, Jens // ErwÃ¤gen Wissen Ethik;2005, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p163
The article discusses the ethics involved in the field of biomedical research and human embryology. In this context, the author has made use of some studies based on embryonic stem cell research and cloning. These studies have posed a question on the existence and well-being of human beings in...
- 'Ethical' stem-cell paper under attack. Abbott, Alison // Nature;9/7/2006, Vol. 443 Issue 7107, p12
The article features the news of the creation of human embryonic cells without destroying the embryo. It attracted worldwide media excitement, and later wide criticism for destroying the embryos used in the research. Even the scientific fraternity considered the work and the presentation as...
- Korean women rush to donate eggs after research pioneer resigns. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);12/3/2005, Vol. 331 Issue 7528, p1291
The article reports on the resignation of research Hwang Woo-suk as chairman of the recently formed World Stem Cell Hub. The author reviews how Hwang resigned after admitting that the eggs he used in his laboratory's research came from two junior researchers in his team and from paid donors....
- `Superman' argues for more NIH money. Wadman, Meredith // Nature;9/5/1996, Vol. 383 Issue 6595, p6
States that actor Christopher Reeve, who was paralyzed after suffering a spinal cord injury in 1995, made an impassioned speech at the 1996 Democratic National Convention in which he pleaded for increased National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding for spinal cord research. Reaction from the...
- Local Researchers Offer Ideas on Stem-Cell Debate. Webb, Marion // San Diego Business Journal;7/30/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 31, p5A
Focuses on the monitor made by researchers and members of the biotech community on the debate of stem-cell research funding in San Diego, California. Views of on the advantages and disadvantages of embryonic stem-cell research; Comparison between adult and embryonic stem cells; Sponsorship of...