Rating Analysts Stress Risk Management in Power Deals
- Specialization in risk management. Jordan, Jerry L. // Economic Commentary;10/15/94, p1
Opinion. Emphasizes that derivative financial instruments represent innovations in risk management. Stabilization of financial innovation; Existence of risk; Government supervision of financial activity; Over-the-counter (OTC) contracts; Market discipline of losses; Systemic risk; Concentrated...
- Greater attention to swaps an lift risk-adjusted profits. Toevs, Alden // American Banker;3/29/1994, Vol. 159 Issue 60, p18
Opinion. Comments on banks' underutilization of swaps and other derivatives to increase risk-adjusted earnings. Uses of derivatives in managing core interest rate risk, options and basis risk and creating synthetic loan and deposit products.
- Ace in the hole. Murelio, April C. // Electric Light & Power;07/01/99, Vol. 77 Issue 7, p17
Discusses different strategies implemented by traders in order to manage risk in the utility and power marketing industry. Electric futures contracts launched by the New York Mercantile Exchange in March 1996; Losses incurred by electric utility industry due to insufficient or nonexistent risk...
- Primer on energy risk management. // Electric Light & Power;Jul2002, Vol. 80 Issue 7, p34
Answers queries about energy risk management (ERM) which provides executives with the tools necessary to control trading activities. Definition of ERM; Difference between ERM and risk management; Difference between speculation and hedging; Evolution of the ERM; Benefits of ERM.
- Swap book risk valuation using convexity adjustments. Kian Guan Lim; Teng Yong Low // Derivatives Use, Trading & Regulation;2002, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p123
Since the early 1980s, interest rate swaps have risen to become one of the most widely traded financial market instruments on the globe. The pervasive use of this financial instrument in managing interest rate and currency risks not only in America and Europe, but also in Asia, has implied a...
- Enterprise risk management utililized. Kelmas, Maria // Business Insurance;08/02/99, Vol. 33 Issue 31, p35
Reports on the creation of companies that embrace new approaches to measuring and managing risks on an enterprise-wide basis as a result of the deregulation of electricity companies in Europe and the United States. Dramatic changes in the nature of the risk faced by power utilities and how they...
- Wall Street risk managers find homes at utilities. Crystal, Jon // Electrical World;Sep96, Vol. 210 Issue 9, p44
Reports on the employment of risk managers in electric and gas utilities. Opportunity for risk managers to build a new business industry in electric utilities; Need for executives to develop a risk management system; Establishment of a system for negotiating complex purchases and sales...
- Power Quality and Reliability. Allen, Whit // Energy User News;Dec2002, Vol. 27 Issue 12, p12
Discusses the significance of risk management plan in order to get power quality and reliability projects funded in energy corporations. Relationship between short duration power problems and interruptions; Breakdown of costs associated with power interruption at brokerage operations; Estimation...
- Utilities light up investment horizon. Stephenson, John // Electric Light & Power;May99, Vol. 77 Issue 5, p38
Discusses the changes of United States electric utility capital structures to rapidly respond to opportunities and threats. Different mode of financing by utilities; Switch to short-term debt; Lowering of equity costs by utilities; Adoption of sound risk management practices.