Deliberate self harm in Sri Lanka: An overlooked tragedy in the developing world
- Learning from Amy. Cameron, Stewart // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;01/15/97, Vol. 156 Issue 2, p229
Relates the author's experience with a patient who decided to commit suicide. Views about rationality and the right to die; Medical history of the patient; Discussion of issues in the department of family medicine, psychiatry and medical ethics.
- New York, NEW YORK. // Advocate;11/26/85, Issue 434, p27
Reports on the double suicide of two men, one of whom was believed to have AIDS, in New York City, New York. Findings of the police investigation on the incident.
- Recognizing the signs of suicide. // Current Health 2;Mar1987, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p12
Suicide prevention; Signs of suicidal behavior; When suicide hits close to home; Ranked as third most common cause of death in young people.
- By their own hands. Arbetter, S. // Current Health 2;Sep87, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p18
1,300 adolescents a day attempt suicide. Of these, 18 are successful. Why young people attempt suicide; Most likely times for it to occur; The roles depression, stress and failure play; Suicide prevention techniques. INSET: If your friends talk about suicide.;What you need to know..
- Pulling a friend back from the brink of suicide. Goodman, S. // Current Health 2;Feb1991, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p18
Examines teen suicide, the second most common cause of death for teens. Teen depression; Problems facing teens; Vulnerability and outlook on life. INSET: Warning signs of a potential suicide.;How you can help (How....
- About suicide. // Current Health 1;Jan1990, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p18
Discusses teenage suicide, statistics and causes. Warning signs of a person considering suicide; How to help others or yourself. INSET: Facts and myths about suicide..
- Supreme Court weighs whether suicide is a right. Marquand, Robert // Christian Science Monitor;1/9/97, Vol. 89 Issue 31, p1
Reports that the United States Supreme court heard arguments about allowing individuals the right to commit suicide. Social implications of the case; Information on the public reaction to the case; Issues addressed at the hearing; Focus of judges on the balance between liberty interests of the...
- The death of dreams. Phillips, J. // Essence (Essence);Jan1991, Vol. 21 Issue 9, p25
Opinion. Examines the effects that the author's mother's suicide had on him and how he has worked toward healing since her death 14 years before.
- A mother's grief. Robinson, A. // Essence (Essence);Jun91, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p30
Recounts the experiences of a woman whose 17-year-old son committed suicide. Prior loss of her husband; Eventual remarriage; Family life; Confusion as to why her son killed himself; Dealing with death; Efforts to move on in her life.
- Preventing teen suicide. // Good Housekeeping;Jul84, Vol. 198 Issue 1, p86
How the Cherry Creek school district of Denver, Colo. stopped it. Their program advocates `Don't ever be afraid to get help.' It gives local students a chance to bring their worries and fears out into the open. Teachers and counselors are also given guidelines for identifying `high risk'...