World's tallest waterfall is underwater
- Quasi-decadal Salinity Fluctuations in the Labrador Sea. Houghton, Robert W.; Visbeck, Martin H. // Journal of Physical Oceanography;Feb2002, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p687
The quasi-decadal salinity fluctuations in the upper 300 m of the Labrador Sea are investigated by partitioning all available salinity station data since 1948 by region and bottom depth. There are major freshwater anomalies in the early 1970s (the Great Salinity Anomaly), mid-1980s, and early...
- Isaac Asimov's futureworld: The future of the sea. Asimov, I. // Boys' Life;Nov91, Vol. 81 Issue 11, p24
Discusses why the ocean holds such great importance to man. Sea life and its importance; Water; Dissolved minerals; The problem of pollution; The importance of deuterium found in the ocean.
- Welcome to the open. // Backpacker;Aug2008, Vol. 36 Issue 6, p121
A photograph of a gem sea located two hours from Bozeman, Montana is presented.
- A celebration of the sea. Ballard, Robert // Popular Science;May95, Vol. 246 Issue 5, p9
Presents a tribute to the ocean. Author's personal experiences with the sea; Level of scientific knowledge about the ocean in the early 1950s and the 1960s; Discoveries about the sea and the life it sustains; Realization that the marine environment is more fragile than previously thought;...
- Public attitudes towards the ocean. Brownlee, John // Salt Water Sportsman;Apr97, Vol. 58 Issue 4, p46
Highlights the results of an opinion poll of 1,300 adults in the United States on their attitude towards the ocean. Respondents responsibility toward the ocean; Criticisms on overfishing; Concerns on seafood contamination; Criticisms on shark finning and threat of sea mammal extinction.
- Areas and Average Depths of Oceans, Seas and Gulfs. // World Almanac & Book of Facts;2000, p463
No abstract available.
- T. A. I. L. S. Wales, Andrew // Boys' Quest;Dec2008/Jan2009, Vol. 14 Issue 4, Special section p6
The article offers information on the ocean beneath the Arctic Circle.
- The four pillars of Neptune's temple. Ferris, J. // UNESCO Courier;Aug/Sep91, Vol. 44 Issue 8/9, p66
Discusses the history of mankind's four great dreams, or the four pillars of Neptune, concerning the world's oceans. The achievements of maritime genius, such as navigation devices and ship design; The conquest of the deep depicted in Jules Verne's novels to modern submersibles; The...
- Why is the ocean salty? // National Geographic World;Jun94, Issue 226, p26
Explains why the ocean is salty. Land as source of the salts in the ocean.
- Why don't oceans freeze? // National Geographic World;Dec95, Issue 244, p17
Explains why oceans don't freeze. Size and depth of the oceans.