Need But Not Opportunity for Change in California
- Alaska GOP Wants to Put More Of Knowle's Debt Plans to Voters. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;5/1/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31377, p3
Reports on the continuing debate of lawmakers in reinstating a state income tax to raise revenues in Alaska. Comments of Republican Senator Pete Kelly on general obligations (GO) bond proposal; Impact of the GO package on the school budget; Concerns on budget deficit.
- Maryland Budget Deficit Up; Schaefer Blames Glendening. Vekshin, Alison // Bond Buyer;9/20/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31475, p33
Reports the budget deficit forecast by the Bureau of Revenue Estimates for the fiscal year in Maryland. Attribution of the declined state income tax revenue on the surge of the budget deficit; Figure of the total shortfall of the deficit; Impact of the projected deficit in revenues on the...
- RISK SUMMARY: COSTA RICA. // Latin America Monitor: Central America Monitor;Oct2011, Vol. 28 Issue 10, p8
The article discusses Panama's growing fiscal deficit, strong bond demand, and flat rate tax.
- No Easy Way Out. Straszheim, Donald // Orange County Business Journal;9/1/2003, Vol. 26 Issue 35, p35
Comments on the reliance of California on individual income taxes for state revenues. Assessment of state budget deficit; Sales tax rate; Budget mismanagement.
- Business groups want tough action on the budget. // Fairfield County Business Journal;2/3/2003, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p1
Reports on the growth of budget deficit among business groups in Fairfield County, Connecticut. Views of Mary Ann Morrison, president of the Greenwich Chamber of Commerce, on the issue; Cause of the increase of income tax; Percentage of the growth of corporate tax surcharge.
- Tenn. Budget Crisis Is Lawmakers' Pet Project. Sack, Joetta L. // Education Week;6/19/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 41, p21
Reports that Tennessee lawmakers are set to debate in the week of June 19, 2002, on whether to raise taxes or make substantial cuts in the state's fiscal 2003 budget, which would include reductions in education services. Overview of competing proposals for dealing with the state's growing...
- Oregon's Latest Biennial Budget Forecast Includes a $551 Million Deficit. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;6/4/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31400, p32
Reports on the budget deficits in Oregon. Impact of decreased taxable income on federal budgets; Reduction in corporate tax revenues; Proposal of administrative actions to meet expected revenues.
- Plan to Shore Up State Budget Has Cities Seeing Red. Jones, Rene'e Beasley // San Diego Business Journal;6/23/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 25, p10
Reports on the effort of the legislators to overcome the budget deficit in San Diego, California. Estimated budget shortfall; Plan to reduce budget appropriations for local jurisdictions; Proposal to form a public safety finance agency to levy a local income tax.
- Illinois Speaker Suggests Starting Point on Tax Hike. Shields, Yvette // Bondbuyer.com;12/10/2015, p1
Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan suggested that recently expired income tax rates offer a good starting point in negotiations over the role of revenue in solving a roughly $5 billion budget deficit.