Outgoing Gov. Engler Seeks Late Fix For Michigan's $500 Million Deficit
- Engler Sees Funding Supplement as Stage for Policies. Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;04/21/99, Vol. 18 Issue 32, p18
Reports on Governor John Engler's plan to augment Michigan's K-12 education budget. Reaction of state education groups; Role of policy changes; Information on the proposal that sparked the greatest reaction.
- New name, approach sought for vocational ed. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;02/03/97, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p4
Presents information on the scheduled budget proposal of Governor John Engler, on 6th February 1997. Details on the proposal; Citing of Engler's State of the State address; Comments from Doug Rothwell, chief executive officer of the Michigan Jobs Commission.
- MICHIGAN: Cuts From Above. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;11/14/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31265, p33
Reports that Governor of Michigan John Engler has issued an order related to budget reductions, fund transfer, and delaying some capital project. Deal with the state's shortfall in revenues; Supplemental recommendation for various fields in the measure; Withdrawal of school aid from the budget...
- Michigan Governor's Budget Does Some Juggling to Correct Shortfall. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;2/8/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31321, p4
Focuses on a state budget proposed by Michigan governor John Engler for 2003. Aim of the budget to raise revenues to meet one billion dollar shortfall; Amount provided for general fund spending and school aid; Other spending policies included in the budget.
- Tax rollbacks survive Engler's budget cuts. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;2/11/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p9
Focuses on the proposal of the 2003 budget by Governor John Engler in Michigan. Preservation of the rollbacks of the single-business tax and income-tax rates; Imposition of fees to pay for the compensation system of the workers; Increase of the funding for health care.
- Highland Park Mayor Wants Michigan's Help with Finances. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;05/18/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31142, p5
Reports on Highland Park, Michigan Linsey Porter's plan to ask Governor John Engler to appoint a financial manager to help the Detroit deal with its budget deficit. Decision by a Wayne County court that evidence of mismanagement in the city was insufficient for takeover; City's obtaining of...
- Small firms need technology aid. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;7/15/96, Vol. 14 Issue 29, p4
Opinion. Reports that Michigan Governor John Engler has vetoed the State Research Fund's annual appropriations as he signed a budget for the Department of Consumer and Industry Services and the Michigan Jobs Commission, which administers the fund. Functions of the Michigan Jobs Commission;...
- Highway robbery? // Crain's Detroit Business;11/27/95, Vol. 11 Issue 48, p40
Reports on the request by critics of Michigan Governor John Engler's program, diverting federal funds from counties and cities to major state road projects, for United States Transportation Secretary Federico Pena to investigate whether the action violates federal law.
- `Rainy day fund' no quick fix for state problems. Tausig, Jonathan // Grand Rapids Business Journal;10/27/97, Vol. 15 Issue 43, p26
Reports on Governor John Engler and the Michigan Department of Management and Budget's (DMB) use of the state's Budget Stabilization Fund to pay the court-ordered special education aid to 84 school districts. Legislative intent of the fund; DMB regulatory affairs officer Mary Lynn Noah's...