Arkansas Court Decision May Force Schools to Increase Millage
- Recent Court Decisions Involved In The Controversy. // Congressional Digest;Apr74, Vol. 53 Issue 4, p101
Presents information on U.S. court decisions in the 1960s and 1970s related to school desegregation issues. Court case on students' school transfer in Atlanta, Georgia; Segregated conditions in Prince George's County, Maryland; Disregard of political subdivisions in Richmond, Virginia;...
- Ruling Against Using School Fund to Balance Arizona Budget Likely to Go Unheeded. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;5/10/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31384, p44
Reports the ruling against the reduction of the state public school building repair fund in Arizona. Need of balance for the 2003 budget; Violation of the public trust; Response of the lawmakers on the judgment.
- AND THEN GOD CREATED KANSAS? THE EVOLUTION/CREATIONISM DEBATE IN AMERICA'S PUBLIC SCHOOLS. George, Marjorie // University of Pennsylvania Law Review;Jan2001, Vol. 149 Issue 3, p843
Focuses on the efforts to navigate Supreme Court decisions when defining the parameters for teaching evolution and creationism in public schools in Kansas. History of creationism debate; Approaches to introducing creationism within the confines of Supreme Court decisions; Failure to satisfy the...
- Catholic school teachers can unionize in New Jersey. // Church & State;Sep97, Vol. 50 Issue 8, p22
Reports on the New Jersey State Supreme Court ruling regarding Catholic school teachers right to form unions in private religious schools. Comments from Justice James Coleman, author of the court's July 24 decision; What was Roman Catholic Diocese of Camden's argument.
- Court Awards Georgia District $110 Million for Busing. // District Administration;Dec2002, Vol. 38 Issue 12, p17
Focuses on the victory of the DeKalb County School District in a lawsuit against the state superintendent in Georgia. Amount of damage awarded to the school district; Statutes on student transportation costs; Violation of the state superintendent in state laws.
- High Court Lets Desegregation, Bullying Decisions Stand. Walsh, Mark // Education Week;10/10/2001, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p28
Reports the court decision on the desegregation case involving the school system of Hillsborough County, Florida. Rejection of the appeal on the observance of Earth Day in public schools; Unaccountability of school officials to protect a student from classroom bullying; Reference to the Gaia...
- Court: Teen can wear anti-gay T-shirt. Wooten, Amy // Windy City Times;4/30/2008, Vol. 23 Issue 33, p5
The article reports on the decision of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit to reverse two court rulings against Alex Nuxoll, a Neuqua Valley High School student who wants to wear an anti-gay T-shirt, ordering the school to suspend its ban of the shirt.
- Looking for Trouble? // Current Events;9/14/2001, Vol. 101 Issue 2, p3
Focuses on a court ruling regarding the authority of school administrators to detain students with violations in California. Prohibition of the possession of weapons in school premises; Debate over the authority given to school administrators to detain violators; Basis in the court ruling.
- Illinois Public School District Regains Autonomy, But it Comes With Price. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;04/20/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31122, p4
Reports the dismissal of the federal desegredation order of Rockford Public School District by the Supreme Court in Illinois. Problem of the school district for paying the bonds that issued illegally; Imposition of tax levies to pay for the desegregation program; Suggestion of the school...