Children infected with meningitis before 1 year of age were at increased risk for disability at 5 years
- Neonatal meningitis in England and Wales: sequelae at 5 years of age. De Louvois, John; Halket, Susan; Harvey, David // European Journal of Pediatrics;Dec2005, Vol. 164 Issue 12, p730
This study determined the prevalence of serious sequelae among a national cohort of 5-year old children, born in England and Wales in 1996â€“7, who had had neonatal meningitis. The results were compared with those from two matched control groups. In addition the results from this study were...
- A child with recurrent meningitis. Funderburk, Jason D.; Steele, Russell W. // Clinical Pediatrics;Apr1998, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p259
Presents a medical report and a separate commentary about a white female child with recurrent bacterial meningitis. Medical history; Diagnosis; Symptoms; Diagnosis of Mollaret meningitis; Etiology of disease.
- Long-term sequelae of pneumococcal meningitis in children. Pikis, Andreas; Kavaliotis, John // Clinical Pediatrics;Feb1996, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p72
Assesses the long-term effects of pneumococcal meningitis in children. Children admitted to the Hospital for Infectious Diseases in Greece as subject of study; Performance of evaluation 4 to 23 years after discharge; High-frequency of long-term sequelae observed.
- Ceftriaxone dosage schedule is modified for pediatric meningitis. Rodman, Morton J.; Hurley, Mary Lou // RN;Dec93, Vol. 56 Issue 12, p78
Reports on the daily use ceftriaxone (Rocephin) to treat children with bacterial meningitis. Initial dosage; Adverse reactions.
- Hib vaccine. // American Family Physician;7/1/1993, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p158
Reports on the efficacy of Haemophilus (H.) influenzae type b polysaccharide and H. influenzae type b conjugate vaccines in curbing the incidence of bacterial meningitis among children under five years of age. Study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Recommendation for...
- Meningitis and encephalitis. Monaco, John E. // Pediatrics for Parents;1994, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p6
Discusses various aspects of meningitis and encephalitis in children. Causes; Susceptibility of children; Signs and symptoms; Diagnosis; Treatment; Prognosis.
- Postnatal causes of developmental disabilities in children aged 3-10 years--Atlanta, Georgia, 1991. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;2/16/1996, Vol. 45 Issue 6, p130
Presents the 1991 Metropolitan Atlanta Developmental Disabilities Surveillance Program report indicating that bacterial meningitis and child battering were the leading postnatal causes of developmental disabilities in children aged 3-10 years. Types of developmental disabilities; Severity of...
- Intramuscular ceftriaxone in bacterial meningitis. // American Family Physician;12/1/1994, Vol. 50 Issue 8, p1784
Discusses the use of ceftriaxone in the treatment of bacterial meningitis in children. August 1994 issue of `Pediatric Infectious Diseases' as source of information; Data on cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) concentration and bactericidal activity; Pathogens most frequently isolated; Optimization of...
- Judge allows baby to die in peace. Dyer, Clare // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);4/13/96, Vol. 312 Issue 7036, p928
Reports on a British High Court ruling allowing a three-month-old baby girl with severe brain damage caused by meningitis to die in peace. High Court family division president Stephen Brown's refusal to lay down guidelines for doctors taking similar decisions in the future; Signal for doctors...