Clinical and radiologic evaluation had moderate sensitivity and specificity for detecting idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- "Any fool can make a rule and any fool will mind it". Wells, Athol U. // BMC Medicine;2/10/2016, Vol. 14, p1
In principle, accurate guideline recommendations should lead to optimal management based on a secure diagnosis. However, current IPF diagnostic guidelines do not meet the needs of a major sub-group (possibly the majority) of patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). A great many IPF...
- Imaging Diagnosis of Interstitial Pneumonia with Emphysema (Combined Pulmonary Fibrosis and Emphysema). Sakai, Fumikazu; Tominaga, Junya; Kaga, Akiko; Usui, Yutaka; Kanazawa, Minoru; Ogura, Takashi; Yanagawa, Noriyo; Takemura, Tamiko // Pulmonary Medicine;2012, p1
Based on clinical and radiological findings, Cottin defined combined pulmonary fibrosis and emphysema (CPFE) as pulmonary emphysema in the upper lungs and interstitial pneumonia in the lower lungs with various radiological patterns. Pathologic findings of CPFE probably corresponded with diffuse...
- Microscopic polyangiitis associated with pulmonary fibrosis. Fernandez Casares, Marcelo; Gonzalez, Alejandra; Fielli, Mariano; Caputo, Flavia; Bottinelli, Yanina; Zamboni, Marcelo // Clinical Rheumatology;Jul2015, Vol. 34 Issue 7, p1273
Microscopic polyangiitis (MPA) is a systemic necrotizing vasculitis characterised by inflammation of the small blood vessels, the absence of granulommas on histopathological specimens, with few or no immune deposits and the presence of circulating anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCAs)....
- Transbronchial Lung Cryobiopsy in the Diagnosis of Fibrotic Interstitial Lung Diseases. Casoni, Gian Luca; Tomassetti, Sara; Cavazza, Alberto; Colby, Thomas V.; Dubini, Alessandra; Ryu, Jay H.; Carretta, Elisa; Tantalocco, Paola; Piciucchi, Sara; Ravaglia, Claudia; Gurioli, Christian; Romagnoli, Micaela; Gurioli, Carlo; Chilosi, Marco; Poletti, Venerino // PLoS ONE;Feb2014, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p1
Background: Histology is a key element for the multidisciplinary diagnosis of fibrotic diffuse parenchymal lung diseases (f-DPLD) when the clinical-radiological picture is nondiagnostic. Transbronchial lung cryobiopsy (TBLC) have been shown to be useful for obtaining large and well-preserved...
- I hear the heartbeat, or things that go bump-bump in the night... Drake, Laurence // Thorax;Dec2014, Vol. 69 Issue 12, p1155
The article presents question and answers related to occurrence of noise during heartbeat in the pneumothorax cavity showing the positive Hamman's sign.
- Intravascular Talcosis due to Intravenous Drug Use Is an Underrecognized Cause of Pulmonary Hypertension. Griffith, Christopher C.; Raval, Jay S.; Nichols, Larry // Pulmonary Medicine;2012, p1
Intravenous injection of illegal drugs or medications meant for oral administration can cause granulomatous disease of the lung. This intravascular talcosis results in pulmonary fibrosis and pulmonary hypertension. Nine cases of histologically confirmed intravascular talcosis were reviewed with...
- ATS Releases New IPF Guidelines. // AARC Times;Jun2011, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p67
The article reports on the new clinical guidelines released by the American Thoracic Society (ATS) regarding the diagnosis and management of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), which were published in the March 15, 2011 edition of the "American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine."
- Methotrexate. // Reactions Weekly;Sep2015, Vol. 1569 Issue 1, p146
The article presents a case study of a 48 year old man who developed combined acute interstitial pneumonitis and pancytopenia caused by administering methotrexate to treat bullous pemphigoid.
- Adalimumab. // Reactions Weekly;6/4/2011, Issue 1354, p5
The article presents a case study of a 78-year-old man who was diagnosed with interstitial pneumonia during adalimumab treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, who developed a non-productive cough and fever a month after receiving biweekly injections of adalimumab.