A rice-based diet with green banana or pectin reduced diarrhea in infants better than a rice-alone diet
- Retting of Musa sapientum Pseudostem with Pectin Decomposting Bacteria. Rasmina, H.; Naimah, M. S.; Aziah, H.; Kiew, Y. N.; Konami, Y. // Journal of Agricultural Science & Technology B;Dec2011, Vol. 1 Issue 8b, p1238
The upper and lower portions of Musa sapientum pseudo-stem sheaths were exposed in four types of treatments: pectin decomposing bacteria, magnesium oxide (MgO), both pectin decomposing bacteria and MgO and control. The fibre strength properties were tested using SIRIM Standard methods and colour...
- Activity of polygalacturonase-inhibiting protein from banana fruit tissues. Bulantseva, E.; Tkhang, Nguen; Buza, N.; Krinitsyna, A.; Protsenko, M. // Applied Biochemistry & Microbiology;May2005, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p251
The activity of polygalacturonase and the protein inhibiting this enzyme, which affected polygalacturonases of phytopathogenic fungiVerticillium dahliaeandGloesporium musarum, were detected in banana (Musa acuminataL.) fruit of cultivarsCavendishandKorolevskii. The polygalacturonase from banana...
- Statistical optimization of hydrolysis process for banana peels using cellulolytic and pectinolytic enzymes. Oberoi, Harinder Singh; Sandhu, Simranjeet Kaur; Vadlani, Praveen V. // Food & Bioproducts Processing: Transactions of the Institution o;Apr2012, Vol. 90 Issue 2, p257
Dried and ground banana peels (BP) were pretreated and hydrolyzed using a combination of cellulolytic and pectinolytic enzymes. Central composite design (CCD) was used to optimize cellulase, 13-glucosidase and pectinase concentrations and hydrolysis time for production of glucose and reducing...
- Developmental Localization and Methylesterification of Pectin Epitopes during Somatic Embryogenesis of Banana (Musa spp. AAA). Chunxiang Xu; Lu Zhao; Pan, Xiao; Šamaj, Jozef // PLoS ONE;2011, Vol. 6 Issue 8, p1
Background: The plant cell walls play an important role in somatic embryogenesis and plant development. Pectins are major chemical components of primary cell walls while homogalacturonan (HG) is the most abundant pectin polysaccharide. Developmental regulation of HG methyl-esterification degree...
- Bratt. Quasha, Jennifer // Total Health;Jun95, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p20
Recommends the diet consisting of banana, rice, applesauce, tea and toast (BRATT). Benefits for the gastrointestinal tract; Nutritional information on the diet.
- Intercropping Cocoa with Rice and Plantain Influencing Cocoa Morphological Parameters and Weed Biomass. Famaye, A. O.; Iremiren, G. O.; Olubamiwa, O.; Aigbekaen, A. E.; Fademi, O. A. // Journal of Agricultural Science & Technology B;Sep2011, Vol. 1 Issue 5b, p746
A field study was conducted at CRIN Uhonmora Substation, Edo State in Derived Guinea Savanna Zone of Nigeria between 2007 and 2008. The experiment determined influence of intercropping cocoa with rice and plantain at early stage of field establishment. Four treatments considered were cocoa...
- menus. // Australian Gourmet Traveller;Jun2013, Vol. 13 Issue 6, p19
A list of winter menus with drink suggestions is presented, including Beetroot Soup With Burrata, Spice-crusted Chicken With Dirty Rice and Banana, Brandy and Butterscotch Trifle.
- Breast feeding and diarrhea. // Pediatrics for Parents;1992, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p1
States the virus Rotavirus is the number one cause of infantile diarrhea, but the longer infants are breast fed, the less likely that virus will be found in their stool. Diarrhea in infants a very serious illness; Potential for severe dehydration; Study done in Mexico City; Reprinted from...
- Antidiarrhoeal, antisecretory and antispasmodic activities of Matricaria chamomilla are mediated predominantly through K+-channels activation. Mehmood, MH; Munir, S; Khalid, UA; Asrar, AnM; Gilani, AH // Journal of the Australian Traditional-Medicine Society;Jun/Jul2015, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p126
The article reports on the antidiarrhoeal, antisecretory and antispasmodic activities found in Matricaria chamomilla, also known as chamomile and a popular medicinal herb widely used in indigenous system of medicine for various diseases.