Detroit blacks sue arts museum $20 mil. for bias
Tags: RACE discrimination
- Atlanta banks rejecting more black loans: Report. // Jet;3/6/89, Vol. 75 Issue 22, p8
Reports that Atlanta blacks are rejected two to four times more often than Whites by banks for home loans.
- US sues New Jersey in discrimination case. // Jet;3/6/89, Vol. 75 Issue 22, p34
Reports on a suit filed by the US Justice Department charging race and sex discrimination in hiring in New Jersey police departments.
- Hazing suit is settled at Charleston, S.C. academy. // Jet;3/6/89, Vol. 75 Issue 22, p14
Reports that a case involving the hazing of a black cadet by five white cadets at the Citadel, a military academy, has been settled.
- Tennessee coaches quit Knoxville country club. // Jet;5/1/89, Vol. 76 Issue 4, p46
Discusses the resignations of University of Tennessee football coach Johnny Majors and athletic director Doug Dickey, from a country club after the new black basketball coach, Wade Houston, could not be offered a membership.
- White Olympic star beaten; Defends Black teammate in racial attack in Germany. // Jet;11/15/93, Vol. 85 Issue 3, p18
Reports on the beating of White American Olympic luger team member Duncan Kennedy by skinheads in Germany after he tried to defend his Black teammate Robert Pipkins. Claims of a racial attack on Pipkins by the skinheads; Arrest of five skinheads involved in the incident; Racial tensions in Germany.
- Whites-Only Provision In Will Is Problem At Nursing Home. // Jet;12/27/99, Vol. 97 Issue 3, p5
Focuses on the complications surrounding an estate left to the Keswick nursing home for a building erected there to service white patients only.
- Adam's Mark Hotel Chain Pays $8 Million To Settle Discrimination Lawsuits. // Jet;04/10/2000, Vol. 97 Issue 17, p46
Reports that the Adam's Mark hotel chain agreed to a settlement of racial bias lawsuits which charged that the hotels discriminated against Black guests in Florida.
- Europe's colour-blind prejudice. Kudnani, Hans // New Statesman;06/19/98, Vol. 127 Issue 4390, p18
Discusses racial discrimination in Europe. Lack of legislation in Europe which protects minorities against discrimination; Comments from Ali Fathi, director of the Office against Ethnic Discrimination; Information on a racially-motivated attack committed on construction worker Noel Martin in...
- A personal experience with racism. // Psychology Today;Dec86, Vol. 20 Issue 12, p46
Racism thrives more in the institutions that protect, preserve, and promote it than in the individual human psyche, claims the author, who joined the NAACP at the age of nine because his black nanny was not allowed to attend the movies with him.
- Reflections on race. Shipler, David // Tikkun;Jan/Feb98, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p59
Opinion. Views on racial progress over the years while pretaining to racism against blacks.