Accountability Problems Found In Law Enabling Utility Purchases
- Getting closer to the people. // Finance Week;8/18/2003 Corporate Survey, p4
Reports on the establishment of Johannesburg Water as an independent private utility company wholly owned by the City of Johannesburg in South Africa. Rationale behind the formation of private utilities; Benefits of transforming city council functions; Provision of water.
- Spelling out expectation. // Finance Week;8/18/2003 Corporate Survey, p4
Discusses the challenges faced by Johannesburg Water in South Africa. Reduction in the level of unaccounted for water; Issues of credit control and revenue enhancement; Innovative ways to expand the business; Incidence of bad debts and levels of nonpayment. INSET: Branding the business..
- Operation Gcin' amanzi. // Finance Week;8/18/2003 Corporate Survey, p8
Reports on Johannesburg Water's most ambitious project, the Operation Gcin'amanzi or operation save water, in Soweto, South Africa. Projected savings in buying water as a result of the project; Reduction in physical losses while improving the water network; Introduction of metered service;...
- MWD Claims Water Plentiful for Two Decades. Zion, Lee // San Diego Business Journal;6/9/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 23, p6
Describes two conflicting opinions of regional water agencies debating how much water will be available to Southern California in the next 20 years. Report by the Metropolitan Water District which states that water supply have enough water to last until 2020.
- New drinking water fund to spur pipeline construction. Barlas, Stephen // Pipeline & Utilities Construction;Oct96, Vol. 51 Issue 10, p5
Forecasts the impact of the US Environmental Protection Agency's funding of the State Revolving Funds (SRFs) on drinking water pipeline construction. Legislative budgetary measure concerning SRFs; Individual state's involvement in SRF funding; Concern about the disposition of the fund.
- Official apology. // Inside Tucson Business;06/02/97, Vol. 7 Issue 10, p3
Reports on the apology issued by the Tucson Water utility. Damage caused by treated Colorado River canal water; Study of customer satisfaction; Water and plumbing problems.
- Water utilities are seeking partners in the private sector. Simunovich, Joseph // Northern New Jersey Business;7/12/95, Vol. 3 Issue 15, p43
Discusses the partnership between public and private water entities to meet the costs of complying with the requirements of the Safe Drinking Water Act and the Clean Water Act in New Jersey. Legislation on public-private water partnerships; Advantages.
- Securing Southern Nevada's water future. // Las Vegas Business Press;12/4/95, Vol. 12 Issue 48, p14
Reports that the Southern Nevada Water Authority (SNWA) and the Metropolitan Water District (MWD) of Southern California announced a partnership to pursue water management strategies and programs, recent to December 4, 1995. Sharing of excess Colorado River water; Lining of the All-American...
- The best funding formula for water system improvements. Newman, Michael // Las Vegas Business Press;04/13/98, Vol. 15 Issue 15, p5
Opinion. Discusses the funding recommendations of the citizens advisory committee involving the improvements in the water system in Southern Nevada. Bill passed to institute an increase in water sales tax; Reason of the Southern Nevada Chapter of the National Association of Industrial and...
- Dirty water. Cimbora, Roger // Pipeline & Utilities Construction;Nov96, Vol. 51 Issue 11, p32
Discusses the need for rehabilitation of the water distribution infrastructure of the United States. Evolution of piped water systems; Health risks of high mineral content of piped water; Illustrations of dirty, restricted flow piping; Characteristics needed by a system for cleaning a dirty...